I want the vegan protein holy book

flyingforjesus

[This overlaps slightly with a previous post of mine from >1 month ago, so sorry about that.]

My goal is to gain muscle mass and want to do this in the most effective, efficient, cheap, lazy, and tasty way possible.

Here are my beliefs as of now:
  • I want to hit at least 130 g of protein every day. I'm a man, 5'9", 170ish pounds but should be 150 lbs, have some visible muscles but nothing to write home about, and am planning on doing weight training ~300 days a year. It may be the case I should be aiming for >150 g/day.
  • But I also don't want to put on fat weight, and so I can't just overeat in order to hit those numbers. I want to do this on a fairly low-ish calorie diet, maybe 2k kCal/day. I have a good 40+ lbs of body fat to draw on to fuel metabolism so I'm not that concerned about a lower calorie diet while gaining...as long as that high protein intake is there.
  • I want to get a complete set of the necessary amino acids for optimal anabolic results at essentially every meal. I do not want to rely on my 11am lunch combining with my 7pm dinner.
  • I want to space my protein consumption out to about once every four hours under the assumption that I can't store excess protein.
  • Most vegan protein powders are insultingly overpriced.
  • Pea protein is a pretty good option, but it's low in methionine and cysteine.
  • Rice protein has higher values of those two amino acids, but rice protein powders concern me because of arsenic in rice, particularly brown rice from the U.S. But I have no idea how much to be concerned about this and based on what data.
  • I've read that wheat gluten has high methionine (and cysteine?) but that it also has absorption issues.
I've managed to gain muscle eating a metric ton of tofu, but I want to have other options and use protein powder shakes as a supplement.

There has to be a best answer for all this out there somewhere, either on the web or in a book. Is there?

@yeshuabless1 I don't think you're reading what I wrote. What about what I wrote made it look like I am after anything easy? I'm in the gym 300 days a year and am trying to math the hell out of this.

That said, would it be bizarre, in a world in which the most unbelievable amount of information on every possible little detail of every arcane corner of the world exists, that someone would have already done that math and it's available somewhere?

If it's not, I might do it. And then I might publish it. But it would be stupid to reinvent the wheel without researching the possible existence of this.

Edit: The downvoting is really disappointing here. I've asked a legitimate question and treated everyone respectfully.

@flyingforjesus Your first two bullet points are a contradiction. “I want to put on weight.” “I don’t want to put on fat.” The two go hand in hand, you can’t put in muscle weight without putting on fat. I suggest looking into lean bulking, which minimizes the fat gain.

You’re also micromanaging your diet. If you want all of the nutrients that you mentioned, maybe look into supplements such as EAA. I found that they help my gym recovery.

@justaguy1212
Taken together, the studies (Longland et al., 2016; Mettler et al., 2010) discussed here demonstrate that higher protein intakes combined with structured resistance exercise training are effective at promoting fat mass loss and enhancing LBM retention and can even result in gains in LBM during severe caloric deficits.

@flyingforjesus You mean you are planning on doing 300 days in the gym. And that number doesn't mean anything. Someone doing 150 days in the gym can make more progress than someone doing 300 days if they're working harder.

My point is that you are putting a lot of effort into the 2% incremental benefit that this approach will give you, when hard work and a good diet consistently over a long period of time will get you 98% of the way there.