I was promised endorphins

romans5to8

I’ve been working out regularly for about six months. Mainly lifting—progressive overload with a little cardio.

When I was younger (I’m a 46f) I remember feeling energized when I worked out regularly.

Honestly, now I just feel tired.

I track macros and aim for over 100 grams of protein a day. I don’t really restrict carbs to any greater degree than my other macros. I average between 100-130 grams per day.

I get 6-7 hours of sleep.

Where’s my endorphin rush? Could I be sabotaging myself in my diet somehow?

@romans5to8 Honestly, I don’t get meaningful endorphins from my lifting - I get pride and progress, but my mood boost comes from cardio. Could shifting the focus or balance of your workouts help?

EDIT: wait, I just saw your usual amount of sleep. 6 hours is rarely enough for the average person - is 6-7 your body’s preference or do you feel deprived on it? How would you do with trying for an extra half hour or hour?

@romans5to8 Idk about your weight but perhaps some more protein could do the Trick. Also a pre workout meal is always a good start if something doesnt feel right and I need to rethink my approach

@romans5to8 Hi , my name is Chelsea . I am a Personal trainer and medical student . You may have been in a caloric deficit for too long - which leads to exhaustion and irritability.
Obviously we know “cutting “ or “toning” involves a slight decrease in calories and an up in movement . I’m not sure if this sounds correct for you?
In my trial and error- I was eating in a calorie deficit was years unfortunately. Then I did a reverse diet which means you slowly increase cals maybe 50 - 100 cals per week. If you do it correctly, you won’t gain fat, just muscle. My Energy improved, hormones regulated, and results surely came . The high of the workout came back shortly after .
Nothing is wrong with you , sometimes we are just small adjustments to making our lives work. Also if you have a busy work load that can be affecting your mental for sure . Maybe try some quiet time and just relax to some music.

@romans5to8 I feel like I have to get my heart rate up considerably and/or break a sweat to get the endorphins. Maybe add in some short but intense cardio sessions. You could also add sled work (if that's available to you) or do some endurance sets of your main lifts at lower weights (e.g. 20 squats). That should get the heart rate up

@romans5to8 I only seem to get the positive mood and energy benefits if I'm eating enough protein and if I'm well rested.

If you're sleeping 6 hours per night regularly you're not getting enough sleep to support your exercise and are probably burning out a bit!

@romans5to8 Lift heavier. Set a training goal. Listen to better music. Also look into (peri)menopause hormone shifts. Maybe find a trainer who knows about it.

@s43229 I second the perimenopause stuff. I’m 47 and am doing stuff that would’ve scored me major results in weeks when I was in my thirties even but it has taken forever (7 months) to see results… I am tired and sore all the time but I kinda dig it cuz I know it means I’m working hard. Now that I’m finally starting to see serious results it’s even more exciting.

@romans5to8 I don't see anyone mentioning yet that your total calories are probably low? Even if we assume 130g carbs, 100g of protein, and 60g of fat (which I'm guessing is actually more than you're aiming for), that's only totaling under 1,500 total calories. Of course you're tired!

Also, that's on the low end for sleep too.

@grahameb It's the same for me. I go to the gym to feel better but I often time debate even going as I know I feel worse after. I love lifting and challenging myself. But I hate everything else that goes with it: problems with weight and body dismorphia, the constant need to eat enough protein (I don't track my food, but try to eat enough protein) so that your hard work is not for nothing. The time consumption and the fact it's indoors on sunny days.

@romans5to8 I just started running 3 weeks ago. I'm obese and trying to lose weight (35F). Nothing on the scale has budged but I do get endorphins after all my runs (3x a week)!

@romans5to8 I get endorphins when i walk in nature and in the sun when i do nearly 5 miles. I get a high after a run, but i push myself in the run and that clicks something in me. I even get giggly after a run sometimes. How long have you been running?

@romans5to8 26f. I run twice a week and weight lift twice a week as well.

I only get endorphins when I go out for a run because I truly love running. I would even consider it a hobby of mine.

I don’t get the rush when I’m weightlifting but rather just a sense of accomplishment.

Perhaps you just need to switch it up a bit? Doing PRs also gives me the rush (not saying you should be hitting PRs every time you work out)

@romans5to8 Knowing nothing about your actual regimen/surrounding lifestyle, or your health (thyroid issues, vitamin deficiencies, hormones balance), I'd generically say you're either doing too much and need to add more rest days, eating too little and need to add some calorie rich days, or lifting just doesn't do it for you and you need to lift less often and substitute an exercise that works.

Could also be that after six months of lifting you're burnt out and need to do something new for a while. I go thru maybe 4 phases of exercise every year. I can't imagine sticking to something for over 6 months and not getting totally bored with it.

@romans5to8 I'm about your age and I say more sleep - 6-7 hours isn't enough in my experience, especially if you're working out a lot. Also, I find I get way more endorphins with cardio than I do for strength training alone so maybe incorporate a little more cardio into your strength sessions.