Increasing to 10RM

youngman4god

Hi all,

So I want to start Geoffs new The Giant X however I don’t really have a 10RM atm and my 2x24kg is about 6 maybe 7 on the clean and press

What’s a good way to get this to at least a 10RM? Any suggestions welcome!

@youngman4god You could run a press 5RM program like Dry Fighting Weight or The Giant.

Alternatively, use push press. Since The Giant X also uses push press, you could use jerks too (replacing strict press with push press, and push press with jerks). Unless The Giant X also uses jerks, then it wouldn't work.

There's also no harm in going slightly lighter. If 2x20 is a 12-13RM, and the program uses autoregulation (like many of Geoff's programs do), that just means you'll get in some extra sets. You'll work slightly more on the conditioning side of things, but that has value too.

@youngman4god I took my 2x32kg press from 5RM to 10RM in 4 weeks with daily training. 2/3 of days were sub maximal and 1/3 of the days were max effort. If you’re willing to try it I could write out a week for you.

@wezo777 I'm not OP, but I'm definitely interested in improving my press, and I'd love to learn more about your program. When you say daily, do you mean you didn't have any rest days?

@dboruff11 Correct, no rest days. The sub maximal work days still allow for recovery between max effort days. I can also add in one rest day to the microcycle, but I usually use that as a modification when cumulative fatigue begins to build after a few weeks.

@youngman4god Remember that it's asking for your Press 10rm, not your C&P 10rm, so maybe your press RM is a little more than 6 or 7.

To increase your 10rm maybe run DFW without the squats? Or just run original Giant first using push presses.

Back