Is 10 sets a chest to failure a week sufficient?

@kalwa That’s your sign to deload for a week (or two if you’ve been training for two or more months on end) and then start at a lower volume again (you will be very sensitive to training again) and then progress with volume from there

@kalwa Half the week do half the sets and the reps (but same weights,) and the second half do half the weights as well. I’ll send you something in a minute

@kalwa 10-12 sets is plenty for most people. I'd say it's not even necessary to go to complete failure on every set. As long as you're getting close and your form is solid, you see improvements over time!

@kalwa 10-20 is what most people do.

You don't need to train to failure though. All you're doing is increasing the likelihood of injury and accumulating fatigue.

Leave 1-3 reps in the tank and achieve the same if not better results.

@kalwa I'd like to think you might be better off with more sets and stay at 1-3 RIR for most sets with heavier weight than doing less sets to failure. Personally, I've done between 18-20 sets with like 50% of my sets I go to failure, primarily on flat db bench and chest press/flyes.

@kalwa If you're actually pushing to failure, as in set 1 is ten reps, and set 2 you either have to take off 40 pounds or you'll only get three reps, then that's more than enough

@garwo123 How long do you rest where your second set with the same weight is 7 reps less? For example, I did chest today and I got 10, 8, 5 reps on Hammer Strength flat press. All to failure with about 2 min of rest

@williamgoode You didn't push to muscular failure if those are the reps you got after the first set. If you push a muscle to it's limit then your reps after the first set fall off a cliff