Is 235 G of Carbs, 170 G of Protein, and 95 G of Fat a good macro ratio if I'm trying to tighten up my body?

sherri198128

I'm currently weigh 150 lbs with some skinny fat. I want to develop more muscle but more importantly I want to tighten up my body and have less fat. Am I eating too many carbs in order for me to achieve my goals? I currently go to Cross Fit 5 x a week. My current macro is 160 G of carbs, 170 G of Protein, and 140 G of Fat but i plan to change it to 235 G of Carbs, 170 G of protein, and 95 G of fat.

@sherri198128 It sounds like you just need to build muscle so eat at maintenance or slightly above.

The straightest line to having bigger muscles is bodybuilding style training, if aesthetics are your goal then this should be a consideration.

Protein wise the literature is pretty unclear. If you’re a beginner you’ll build easily on 1.2g per kg bodyweight, the upper ceiling on studied benefit is 1.8g per kg bodyweight. As a newbie (restarter) i gained strength and muscle on less than 60g most days, don’t over complicate a simple muscle gaining goal

@sherri198128 That’s a very steep deficit in contrast to what you’re currently consuming. Not “bad” but drastic.

Do you have any performance or strength goals or is your primary goal currently aesthetic?

That’s ~3500 cals per week, which would equal a weight loss of approx 1 lb. I feel like height and gender matter too!

Happy to chat further if you want to send a message! I love this stuff!

@sherri198128 I miscalculated, it’s late 🤣! The other commented caught it. (Thank you!) The other commenter is correct it’s approx 700 cals as a deficit per week.

I’d say give your new macros some time and see how you feel. I’d pay attention to sleep quality, cardio performance, satiety and strength. If you decide to steepen your deficit, I’d scale back on the fats likely first. However, I’d say 50g of fat is the absolute bare minimum without knowing more about your situation and specifics.

@sherri198128 If you want to “tighten up” you need a slight caloric deficit. You’re currently eating about 2580 calories per day based on those macros.

I would start with about a 250 calorie cut. 150g protein, 225g carbs, 92g fat.

This is obviously just based on what you said you were eating, without knowing more about you.