Is 3 hours in the gym too much?

@cjcarrie Why? If he’s doing a reasonable amount of volume and intensity, what difference does it make? It sounds like he’s just taking stupid amounts of rest, which in the grand scheme of things isn’t gonna hurt anything

Only negative imo is it’s just a massive waste of time, but it’s his time so who cares.

@johnc101 Either long rests which are fine or a lot of cardio which is fine but depends on what type. A 1.5 hour weights session with 1.5 hours walking on the treadmill is good.

@cjcarrie I lift 2-2.5 hours, 6 days per week and am jacked af.. in fact I used it do 5 days 1.5 hours per day, and when I upped it to 6 I had insane gains.

Every natty guy who’s jacked I know lifts at least 2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week. All 8 of them. Every guy on roids I know (4 of them) lifts 1 hour max, 5-6 days per week.

@dbanet Uhhh, Jay is a genetically gifted FREAK, 4 time Mr. Olympia.
The OP...Nothing of the sort. Plus, if Jay worked out 4 hours it for damn sure wasn't all at once. A "Double split".
I have been competing continuously since 1980...won two open class contests this year. I pretty much have this Bodybuilding thing down. My first year...Arnold was still Mr. Olympia.

@dbanet I had already won the Missouri State Bodybuilding Championship the last year Sergio competed in the Mr. O...do you know what year that was "Little one"?
Once again, you are talking about FREAKS, not normal training people or even normal Bodybuilders...run along Dumb@$$.

@dawn16 Just in case this was for me. Natural from 1979 to 2021. October of 2021 finally had low enough test level to get on hormone replacement at the age of 56, gained about 5 to 7 pounds after HRT, not life changing but did male a difference.

@cjcarrie No.
I’m talking about FACTS.
You said OP was working out for too long. I proved that some top athletes work out for more than 3 hours. You have not clue one about OPs genetics or age. You’ve simply applied your own narrow subjective view to his question.
You made a definitive statement, which was wrong. Have the emotional and intellectual maturity to accept that.

@asdtmr12 Dorian Yates - 45mins

Jay Cutler - 4hrs

People making statements about workout length are negating the huge variance in the top pros, natty or not. You have to experiment, and find what’s right for you.

@asdtmr12 I really don’t think it’s a big deal. I do 1.5 hours 6 days a week, but there have been weeks where I’ve been distracted on my phone and stayed well over 2 hours. I didn’t see anything awful happen to my gains. Focus on the basics: form, macros, sleep, consistency. Don’t overthink it.

If you do start to notice you aren’t doing as well as you used to, then maybe you could look further into it.

@asdtmr12 Everyone has a different physiology and responsiveness to resistance training. Give it 3-6 months and if it works for you and you're getting gains, do it.

@asdtmr12 Start using the stopwatch on your phone between sets. I noticed myself taking 1.5hrs or sometimes more in the gym, and implemented doing this just to see if I was wasting time.

I was. A lot lol. Some squat sets I was taking 7-8 min rest when I was “ready” in 3-5. 5 mins of reset between bench when I could’ve done it in 2.5 mins. Etc