Is 300 swings/day effective on its own?

@nipun I think to get back in the habit of exercising setting a small goal is a good way to go. If you think you can do 300 swings everyday or a few days a week, fine. If you start with 100 fine.

I’d start easier and get the habit ingrained. Then you’ll start to say to yourself “fuck, those 100 swings were easy. I have a lot more in the tank. What else can I do?” As long as you don’t fall into a swing purgatory trap after a month you’ll be golden.

However, there is no question that you’ll see better results following a program. A lot of folks on this sub have done or are doing DFW. If you can’t press the bells you have, adding something like The Outer Limits Protocol into your routine a few days a week will help you out. That would give you a few weeks to a month of easy freestyle work and you’ll be in the habit of exercising five days a week.

Best of luck bro.

And if you really want to commit, (assuming you drink alcohol), stop drinking alcohol. Give up refined sugar, because it's poison.

And if you really want to drop the weight, become a whole food vegetarian. It's like a cheat code for us middle aged guys, for sure.

@nguyenvantrinh Hardly anyone on a "keto" diet is in ketosis ever. It's mostly just a buzz phrase that let's folks eat lots of fat and meat.

A meat-intensive diet carries truly unacceptable health consequences, to say nothing of the social/environmental/moral concerns.

I mean, if you're looking to put on muscle and eventually get colon cancer and diabetes, well...

@nipun First off I’m sorry about your loss, I was a caregiver for a loved one and its one of the hardest things I’ve ever had too do..

Second, fuck it! Try it for a few day/weeks.. IMO swings get boring really fast, but if you can mentally power through then run it! Throw some 10 min walks throughout the day and you got yourself a nice routine..

If you can I’d learn the clean and press if you don’t already know it and goblet squats.. that’s going to be your best ROI, whatever you do just have fun!

@nipun From inactivity to 300 swings will get you results. Later when you become more conditioned you can add in more but trying to do some super complex program you arent conditioned for now is just gonna set you up for injury

@nipun I honestly think 300 swings will be overkill man. If you want to lose some weight follow a format of maybe 100 swings/100 goblet squats. The goblet squats would make for a much more balanced mobility addition than swings alone. And I’m guessing (as a former grappler) that if you’re 45 and did judo for any amount of time, you probably have your share of injuries and aches. Do yourself a favor and at least give your body the broadest platform you can for fitness to add on to later.

@nipun Some of these comments are weird lol. Go ahead and try it. It will be tougher some days than others, maybe on a day where you feel horrible, 200 is a better number. Maybe on another where you feel legendary you’ll want to do 400.

If you want other high values moves, the clean and press will serve you very well. How many bells do you have?

@nipun try the 10,000 swing program. Its 2 days on of 500 swings, and then 2 days off.

I think the little bit of recovery in between and then a little bit more than what you are challenging yourself might be good.

@nipun Don't swings is great to have a better swing! In order to get in shape, what shape are you looking for?
I think that for a healthy state you could target movements, push pull hinge and squat. There is a lot of.info in the wiki here and the r/kettleballs. It takes some reading though

@nipun Gains are made on rest days, so doing the same thing every day is never a good idea. 3 or 4 days a week with good rest, sleep and nutrition works better.

Personally 28 would be on the heavy side for me and I'd be limited to deadlifts, squats and maybe jerks. It depends on your own strength of course, but I'd consider a lighter weight.

@fortruth73
Gains are made on rest days, so doing the same thing every day is never a good idea.

There are plenty of examples that prove this to be false. For one, there's every serious biking or running program ever. Even in the context of strength training there's plenty of examples of people having success lifting every day, like this guy who added 40lbs to his already impressive deadlift by deadlifting every day for 50 days (he has since done the same with bench) or this guy who has been lifting every day for over 1000 consecutive days

3 or 4 days a week with good rest, sleep and nutrition works better.

Good rest, sleep, and nutrition are obviously important regardless of workout schedule, but I've never seen any evidence that 3 or 4 day programs are universally better than other schedules.

@bhulksmash But there’s also plenty of examples that prove this to be true and good sound advice. Majority of strength training programs are legitimately 3-6 days a week depending on how extreme you wanna get. And the vast majority of them include a rest day or 2, some even 3. At a minimum a rest day or 2 from touching weights. Rest and recovery is monumental in strength training. Its a fact that strenuous workouts cause muscle breakdown and proper rest allows the body to build and recover. He’s going to get results by adjusting his diet and working out, regardless of what he does but “gains” and results are completely different. And to compare biking and running with weightlifting is like comparing Lasagna to Banana Pudding, they don’t even belong in the same conversation. Unless we’re discussing a bad ass potluck.

I feel like you are here to challenge others advice over actually offering advice to OP.

Back