Is 300 swings/day effective on its own?

@myworld19
But there’s also plenty of examples that prove this to be true and good sound advice. Majority of strength training programs are legitimately 3-6 days a week depending on how extreme you wanna get.

But are they that way because that's what's easiest for most people or because that's what's optimum? You can draw your own conclusions but as far as I know there's no conclusive evidence that either method is optimum so I know what I believe. EDIT: To be absolutely clear, I am not saying and have not said that 3-4 day per week programs are bad. I'm running one now and it's working great for me. I am merely pushing back on OP's absolute statement that every day programs are "never a good idea".

Rest and recovery is monumental in strength training. Its a fact that strenuous workouts cause muscle breakdown and proper rest allows the body to build and recover.

I would replace "rest and recovery" with "load management". If you read the links I posted you'll see two very strong guys that are very aware of the need for load management, they're just choosing to do it in a way that allows them to lift every day. Again, I'm not aware of any conclusive evidence that any workout schedule is optimum, but a guy adding 40lbs to an already elite deadlift in 50 days sure is a compelling argument that lifting every day is a valid path.

And to compare biking and running with weightlifting is like comparing Lasagna to Banana Pudding, they don’t even belong in the same conversation.

True, but I'd call a 300 swings per day session with a relatively light weight like 28kg closer to cardio than to weightlifting.

I feel like you are here to challenge others advice over actually offering advice to OP.

I think a couple people are parroting demonstrably false information that they clearly learned from something other than their own experience and I think it's worth calling that out. I think others have given OP good advice and have upvoted them.

@bhulksmash Cycling is my main sport, and every cycling programme I have seen includes rest days.

In most contexts a rest day is not necesssrily a day or inactivity, but much lighter volume/intensity or contrasting activity.

If OP wants to do one activity with one weight, then that would mean a rest day with none or far fewer of that.

No doubt some people do train on massive amounts of consecutive days and make gains, but reports of individuals doing that doesn't mean it is optimum.

AB studies with significant numbers of participants are needed. What do they show?

@fortruth73
Cycling is my main sport, and every cycling programme I have seen includes rest days.

Interesting. When I was a competitive runner I would work up to running 10x per week with no rest days so I just assumed cycling was similar since I know competitive cyclists tend to spend more time on the bike than I did running. I'm pretty sure a couple of my friends that cycled competitively would train every day but I could be mistaken as I'm much less familiar with cycling training.

In most contexts a rest day is not necesssrily a day or inactivity, but much lighter volume/intensity or contrasting activity.

If OP wants to do one activity with one weight, then that would mean a rest day with none or far fewer of that.

If OP wanted to do a single swing with a 5lb bell every day would you suggest they needed rest days? It comes down to load management, and I don't think 300 swings with a relatively light weight like 28kg is anywhere near extreme volume for an adult male with a training history.

No doubt some people do train on massive amounts of consecutive days and make gains, but reports of individuals doing that doesn't mean it is optimum.

Did OP even ask if their plan was optimal? If training every day helps someone stick with their plan then I'm confident that a good daily plan is more optimal for them than a 3-4 day plan that they can't stick to.

AB studies with significant numbers of participants are needed. What do they show?

They don't, that's the point. I think 3-4 day programs are great. I happen to be running one right now. I also think there's no evidence that training every day is sub optimal if load is managed well.

@iwant2beclose2god I think it’s the “gains are made on rest days” comment. That’s been largely debunked, but you do need to have variations in what you’re exercising, intensity, etc like the comment says for that approach to be effective

Also, saying 28 is too heavy for them doesn’t really matter if OP can handle it

@nipun My advice: don't.

I'm 40, have been training w/bells for nearly a decade, trying 300 swings per day would get me nowhere. I might survive but after the 3rd or 4th day consecutive, I'd lose power and my swings wouldn't count for much.

Read Simple and Sinister. Start by training for "simple."

@nipun yeah but probably your will overtrain quite a lot. Why just do that? find a nice plan and follow it. As other people said, 28 kg is not light weight. Your joints and skin in your hands could suffer more than your muscles. Be careful. Read the guide in the subreddit or search for noob training and they are plenty of posts recommending programmes for people who want to come back in shape.

@darlingbesa My real point is that 300 swings is not extreme volume by any means. You can knock those out in 30 minutes with a 1:3 work: rest ratio.

Whether 28kg is a heavy weight is something I think OP can figure out as a grown adult; but assuming OP is male, 28kg for a male of that size with a training history is nothing crazy IMO.

@nipun It is but I would argue that simple and sinister is a more effective starting point. Those TGUs expose weakness like no other and really provide all around strength that opens the doors for more complex programs.

@nipun If you are going to do only one exercise, do cleans instead of swings, you put load on almost your entire body when the bell is in the rack, that's way more beneficial. As for the number, do as much as you can/like, there's not much to say about pulling numbers out of thin air like that.

Back