Is a basic home gym worth setting up as a beginner

britanyashton

I (26F) have gone to the gym multiple times and variety of gyms however have felt uncertain of how to use machines and uncomfortable exercising around people. I have normally settled on running in the outdoors to get exercise. I am interested in setting up a mini gym in my garage which is the perfect space for it (I own a rowing machine, resistance bands, pull up bar, skipping rope, two weight plates and many weights bags I guess you’d call them…) I am very beginner. Do you think I’d use a home gym if it was set up? What equipment would be beneficial to add? How could I find workouts and even descriptions of what the heck each exercise is and how to physically do them safely? Is it worth investing in some floor gym mats to cover the concrete floor?!Any other tips or tricks?
Mainly keen to build some basic strength and fitness. No extreme make over expected. Thank you kindly for any ideas and advice.

@britanyashton It’s going to depend on you as an individual. For some people having their own space and equipment made convenient makes them more likely to train regularly and hard. For others they prefer the variety and quality of a public gym environment and equipment. Start with what you have and see if you actually use it.

I’m very into strength training myself. Both because I want to move heavy weights, and because I want to get bigger. Because of this I wouldn’t have a home gym without a power rack, bench, barbell, and deadlift platform. This equipment is hugely versatile and effective. You could get away with dumbbells, but I reckon barbell is more practical.

@britanyashton https://www.boostcamp.app/r-fitness...ogram_id=f3dc9307-43aa-4768-ad73-7b35dd4d6f0e

you can try this dumbbell only PPL.

get a set of adjustable dumbbells and an adjustable bench and they will go a real long way. but keep in mind that your leg movements might surpass the dumbbell weights unless you stick w unilateral movements

if this is expensive sounding you may enjoy a calisthenics program instead. but tbh, its either the DB and bench payment one time vs a monthly gym subscription

if u wanna be a little more spendy, ‘garage gym reviews’ on youtube covers everything home gym

@britanyashton If you have the discipline to train at home it's one of the best investments you can ever make for yourself. I have a garage gym that I use at least 6 days a week. It also doubles as a play area for my kids. I have an adjustable bench with a leg extension/leg curl attachment and a power rack setup. With this I can do all the main compound lifts safely without a spotter. The good thing about this equipment is it will literally last your entire life and beyond that. If you end up with something you didn't like or use it's also pretty easy to resell on FB marketplace. Over time I've built up and bought used dumbbells and now I have a set that goes from 5-85lbs. You don't need floor mats unless you plan on dropping weights. I have two horse stall mats that make up a small lifting platform for deadlifts. I put down green turf in the rest of my garage just to make it look nice.

@britanyashton All I got is a bench, rack of dumbbells and a yoga mat. I made so much progress with just that then I ever did at the gym tbh. I think I just get too much anxiety working out in public to properly learn.

@britanyashton I would say you have a pretty good set up for now, I don’t think you need more equipment (besides maybe dumbbells) unless you’re going to get more seriously into it later. And for proper techniques you should watch certified personal trainers on YouTube to make sure you don’t injure yourself and get the best workout in

@britanyashton Do it. I live at an apartment complex that has free acess to an off site gym, but i hate going for the same reasons, not sure of how to use the equipment and its always busy and just nakes me feel uncomfortable. My employer recently added an office and put their home gym equipment in there for all of us to use, my boss has also put together a couple work out plans for me because she's a gym rat and I am not. I can tell you that since they've added this gym, I have a regular routine of going a minimum of twice a week. I'm always alone, and she taught me how to properly use the equipment. For the first time in a long time, I actually believe in myself and my ability to get healthy. I think you will really enjoy the space and it could be great for your mental health. Good luck!

@britanyashton I bought two packs of inexpensive floor mats from Sam’s Club warehouse. Wasn’t sure if I would use my little home gym…turns out the whole family uses it.😆

@britanyashton Home gym owner here. I would not even think about purchasing a home gym if you do not already have a consistent routine built that you can replicate there. That's how folks have $2500 Peloton, soloflex, bowflex, etc. machines in their house that become glorified clothing racks. Do you use the equipment you have already, or is it just collecting dust?

While I'm more of a rack/barbell/bench person, in your situation I'd probably recommend investing in a suspension trainer like a TRX - there are a variety of exercises and ways yo use your bodyweight as resistance with one; It has more potential for it's cost than just about any piece of equipment besides a set of 50lb adjustable dumbbells.

@britanyashton Sometimes you have to address your fears directly. Having a home gym won't teach you how to use the equipment. I would hire a local personal trainer or work out with someone more experienced to learn.

Having a home gym is convenient. I'd make sure you have a kettlebell. But don't build a whole one because you're afraid of getting help in the gym

@pmcr63 Unfortunately live in a reasonably high crime town so any park machines are either damaged or simply unsafe to use. Thanks for the suggestion though 😊 can afford it but just nervous to spend money and
Time on something to just gather dirt. Some really good responses on here though. Thanks