Is Athlene’s Active Whey Protein the best budget protein powder locally?

jackspec

I’ve been switching around from ON, R1, Wheylabs, USN for my monthly 5lbs tub since I do prefer the brands I’m familiar with coming from their official stores online but this month I’ve decided to lower the budget a little bit since I’ve been seeing some people online posting about Athlene - to be fair there are brands that have way way lower prices with higher amounts of protein per scoop but I do find them suspicious (A1, Rhyno, Prothin, Wonder) - I wanted to ask the people in this subreddit if you consider Athlene to be a reputable brand that can deliver results given that yes training, nutrition, and adequate rest are all on point. Thank you.

@jackspec Athlene seems supiciously cheap but it isn't. 1 lb costs 799 on their website (no discount), R1costs 4,000 for 5 lbs on their official Lazada shop (no discount) which is 800 PHP per pound. Add to this the fact that Athlene comes in cheap packaging, doesn't have to ship overseas, and probably saves money on marketing, and it makes sense.Now, I do suspect that their Lean Mass Gainer is amino spiked, their whey is a little suspect for me as well. But there are no immediate red flags with their brand (unlike with Prothin etc.) and you can always go with their protein isolate if you have doubts. I have tried a few brands and so far Athelene is the best tasting. I'll try ON's milk tea flavor next, but if that's no good I'll honestly go back to Athlene, I looked forward to drinking their shakes. Other brands I drink through sheer will power

@clouds68 I see the lean mass gainer as may extrang source ng carbs lang, pero much less than normal mass gainers. Tignan mo sa servings kung ilan hindi sa weight. Mass gainers madalas high weight pero less servings.

@randy229812 I mean it's not a big deal, probably kulang ka lang ng 8-10 grams which isn't enough to make a big difference (unless you're consistently lacking over the years)

@clouds68 im totally lacking over the years pero po im taking chicken breast, eggs din naman and vegetables and fruits sa diet ko. like everyday may iba ako protein source other than 3 tbsp of prothin brand everyday

@clouds68 Excited to try that Milk Tea from ON too when my monthly protein budget loosens up a bit, you do have a point regarding the pricing where they play tricks - right now it’s 699 for 1lb Whey Concentrate which would equate to about 3,500 for 5lbs if you buy per pound - good point that they make more money from the per pound market. Athlene’s Isolate is at 999 which will get you to 4995 about the same price as ON’s Whey Isolate however Athlene’s 5lb Isolate Bag would actually cost 3499 and would come out cheaper than ON and R1’s Isolates - I’m guessing 5 - 10 pound customers really aren’t their target market. Thanks for the eye opener I forgot to calculate these costs before haha.

@jackspec A buddy told me the reason why Athlene is cheap is because they dont spend much on advertising etc. They are trying to keep the cost down. If you look at the ingredients at the packaging, walang spiking(w/c means pure whey protein). The only brand i'm skeptic is prothin (nakalagay mismo sa likod pea protein). I'll be switching to Athlene on my next refill. Also I love their creatine. Cheapest in the market.

@craigbrickhill I just got my box now lang I’m excited to try it, tried Wheyl’s but it seems like a lot of powder for 30g, the scooper they provide only holds up to 27g. Wonder how the powder Athlene has will be.

@jackspec Careful lang though, iba ang protein content at iba pa ang protein na pwede maabsorb. Di ko alam ung ibang brand na yan but there could be reason why mura. So research at tested properly ng 3rd party ang safer bet. Kaya i stay sa ON ever since kahit nagmahal ng konti.

@jackspec Haven't really done thorough research on them kasi mostly din naman mga feedback lang ng users ang nakikita. It's affordable and nice naman, medyo super sweet lang yung ibang flavors. Tsaka ginagamit ko lang kasi ang protein powders as sort of additional intake especially if di ako kakain ng protein rich foods so parang substitute lang. Pero nung nagpa bulk ako Rule 1 at Athlene ang gamit ko which is ok naman, na achieve ko yung goal ko. Try mo muna mga 3-6 months na yan lang gamit mo tapos check mo lang and compare mo sa previous experiences mo

@eaglenest61 Just got my bag, chocolate hazelnut not too sweet imo, mixabilty is good - better than Wheylabs. The powder itself is similar to R1’s boracay sand type of texture hahaha some brands have powders are too fine that they make a mess when you grab a scoop, this one not too much. Athlene actually kind of reminds MyProtein now that I think of it.

@jackspec Hi OP! How was athlene active pure isolate po? Any feedback? Balak ko din kasi babaan budget ko for protein powder, ang mahal na ng ON at wala nang padiscount si shopee na 1.2-1.5k LOL

@jackspec Smartfit and scientific snitch made a collab tiktok video about amino spiking whey protein. Scientific snitch mentioned Athlene and its ingredients, saying that it's legit.