Fit/active women of Reddit, what’s your weekly exercise routine like?

@acco340 Monday - Legs

Wednesday - Chest, triceps, Shoulders

Friday - Back and biceps

I then run on the other days. sometimes I run on MFW after I lift too haha. I like running :p I should have a core day somewhere but I tend to neglect that..... :/

@acco340 definitely stretch! there's a bunch of active stretching routines (whatever the opposite of static stretching is) on youtube and stuff to do before working out and then cool down after. what helped me not overlook stretching is to think of it as part of my workout instead of something you do after your workout (you're still burning calories during your stretching!) and also how gooood it feels. I do yoga every morning and then stretch before going to bed and it honestly feels like giving myself a massage lol

@unworthybutgrateful Oh def will do! I think this may have actually been a good thing thinking about it bc I’m gonna be a lot better to my body with stretching and warming up and foam rolling and not overdoing it :)

@acco340 I lift 4 days per week for 1 hour at home. I begin each session with about 15 min of mobility and warmup stuff. Each lift session has two “main” lifts then 4-6 exercises that support the main lifts. So, i do progressive overload but since it’s at home i just pick challenging weights. Eventually i will have to go to a gym since my dumbbells max out at 50 lb each. When the weather is nice, 1-2 times per week I run, bike or walk. I communicate with my coach regularly to change up anything as needed. It’s manageable and now I look forward to each session. Sustainable is key for me! ETA lifts are split as follows: upper horizontal push/pull, upper vertical push/pull, lower squat focus, lower deadlift focus

@acco340 Your schedule is practically mine and I’ve been on it for many years at this point (also previously sedentary).

The kicker for me was investing in a foam roller and taking the time to iron out every muscle at least a few times a week, if not for a few minutes daily. It can be uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it and you’ll recover far better than just stretching alone.

@acco340 This isn’t my entire routine, but the start of Covid I downloaded an app called Splits Training. It’s really just a series of dynamic stretches for flexibility, you don’t necessarily need to go into it with the goal of doing a split. But it has been super helpful for me, historically a pretty non-flexible person! It’s 20-30 minutes per day and I always do this if nothing else

@acco340 I do a lot less than a lot of people here but am certainly active if not superbly fit.

In the summer, I do a short (30min-1hr, from 10-20km) bike ride 2 evenings per week, play volleyball for two hours on one evening, and then one longer bike ride (40-80km) at the weekend. I do a few sportive rides over the summer months too of 100-150km, and referee at the odd rugby sevens tournament. I also go hillwalking occasionally.

In the winter, I drop the midweek cycling (it gets dark at 3.30pm at the worst point), and alternate weeks with a longer cycle and refereeing a rugby game. Some weekends I’ll do both, but only when weather is suitable and I don’t have other commitments.

Every year I say I need to do more running in the autumn and winter when cycling becomes more weather dependent but every year I give myself shin splints when I run on pavement, so it never lasts. And it’s too dark for running along the soft paths on either side of work.

@acco340 I aim to focus lower body twice a week, upper body twice a week, and a day for core/stretching. I try to change up the exercises I'm doing every 4 - 6 weeks, and hike and do yoga on the weekends.

I find that it's helpful to let the muscle groups rest for a day before hitting them again, but I typically aim for higher weight.

@acco340 My schedule is all over the place right now (I just started a new job) so right now I exercise 5x per week with any combination of these: backcountry ski (skinning), Nordic skiing, resort skiing, and weightlifting at the gym!

Before winter started I was lifting 4x week and hiking 1-2x week.

@acco340 I try to get at least 5-6 days in per week. 2 days each, lower and upper body; 2 days total body; 2 days cardio (usually kickboxing). My sessions are about 40 -60min. That includes warmup, some core work and stretching after.

Right now I have some elbow tendonitis in my right arm, so after about a week and half of no upper body, I'm scaling back to lighter weight for anything that feels like it is putting a strain on me in that area.

It's frustrating. When you finally get to a point where you feel good, see some decent results and have established a routine, you want to push through. Especially when you're at an age when you have to work so much harder to see the results that were so much easier to achieve and maintain 5-10 years earlier. It's weird to have to force yourself to rest. But it's better to rest and avoid injury that will sideline you for weeks or months. See me trying to convince myself?? :)

That said - listen to your body. If it hurts or if you're super tired, rest - or just go lighter or less intense. If you're not injured, try not to take consecutive days off. It gets easier to NOT do the work and it's hell to start over.

@acco340 My routine is described here.

For knee soreness, I recommend:
- 2 rest days a week
- scale up your activity minutes and intensity more slowly (going from 0 to 6 days a week intense exercise is probably too fast a ramp up)
- foam roll and stretch all leg muscle groups
- lots of glute activation exercises
- physical therapy

@acco340 To save money not going to a gym at the moment.

My apartment has a cardio gym and some weights so I use the space of it. I take my yoga mat and do body weight or dumbbell exercises then finish off with my jump rope until I’m tired. I do a take on brosplit with lower, upper, abs. When I’m on my period I just do treadmill in the exercise room.

I also walk around everywhere

@acco340 Three 40 mins weights seasons a week (progressive overload high reps starting at 60% of 1RM to low reps of 97.5% of 1RM with max testing every 12 weeks. Legs, press and pull) plus two Brazilian Jiu jitsu sessions per week (basically cardio).

Warm up well before all classes (15-30 mins). (mostly stability excercises for the activity I'm doing) walk 2-3km (1-1.5ish miles) most days one serious functional stretching session per week.

Occasional runs and yoga if I feel like it (maybe fortnightly or so).

@acco340 Haha I kind of love reading people’s routines- so fascinating!! Def sounds like an easier cardio day and some upper body days might benefit your routine! I don’t know what your cardio is, but if it’s running that can be hard on your knees if you do too much at once.

I’m personally primarily a climber who runs (I’ve been running for the past 15 years and climbing for the past 7 years). I’ve recently gotten more into weight lifting so still a newbie at that. But an example week might look like this for me:

M: AM: Limit bouldering day on my home wall (which is a bouldering wall set at 35 degrees overhang). Basically warming up for 30 min and then trying hard boulders for 45-60 min

T: AM: Climbing- specific strength training day, eg, finger strength, deadlifts, weighted pull-ups, OHP, etc (75-90 min). PM: Run 3-6 miles

W: Easy easy run (3-4mi) or walk my dogs for an hour

Th: AM: Endurance bouldering day on my home wall where I do a bunch of circuits for approx 90 min. PM: Run 3-6 miles

F: full rest day

Sat: Boulder outside, approx 3 hours or so usually

Sun: Sometimes long run (6-8 miles) if I’m training for something or sometimes a heavy lifting day at the gym where I do a 75 min full body session. Sometimes it’s just an easy run. If I do go hard, then I usually take my Monday easy and do my limit bouldering session the next week on Tuesday instead.

My goals are always to prioritize climbing and fit running and strength in where I can. I usually aim for 4 days of climbing a week and end up running approximately 20 miles a week on top of that. I have found I can’t run much without it hurting my climbing performance and messing up my sleep. The main reason I still run is for the mental health aspects to be honest. Climbing is wayyyy more fun for me and drives me to achieve my goals. Have fun with fitness and good luck with your journey!

@waterflow Hey, you're obviously really into climbing, I briefly tried bouldering on study abroad (my college was too small for a climbing wall), and always wanted to try it again. Do you have any tips for women getting into bouldering?

@rp Aw yay- bouldering is the best! Do you have a gym near you now? I would definitely recommend checking out the r/climbergirls subreddit for more advice on getting into the sport, but if you do have a gym near you now I would say to check it out! The best tips I can give for someone starting off is to watch other climbers as much as you can- it can help you a lot with learning movement and what works as well as how to safely fall off a bouldering wall. I end up downclimbing most of the time when I go to a gym anyway bc I am extremely cautious of falling even off of just a 12 foot wall onto pads.

Bouldering can be incredibly social and it’s usually pretty easy to meet people if you go to the gym at a time of day when it’s not completely dead. Also- remember to leave your ego at the door, always. I couldn’t even climb to the top of the bouldering wall my first time I tried it! The more you do it, the stronger you’ll get and the more endurance you’ll get as well. And bouldering grades are extremely subjective, so don’t be afraid to try any route that speaks to you regardless of the grade. Have fun!!

@waterflow I'm definitely following that subreddit now lol. There are some gyms near me, I'm going to try them out. Thanks for the advice!

@acco340 Disclaimer I am a personal trainer. Every body is different so everyone’s routine will look a little different.

Here’s my current routine:
Monday - Squats, lower body, shoulders, 8min cardio
Tuesday - Bench, chest, triceps
Wednesday - Deadlifts, lower body, shoulders, 8min cardio
Thursday - Back, biceps
Sat. or Sun. - 20min cardio

The majority of my workouts last about an hour. I’ll do 5-10min of warmup before getting into the workout. I’ve been trying to do at least 10min of stretching after my workouts which helps reduce soreness the next day and helps keep me loose overall.

I keep the same routine for 6-8 weeks, with about 9 exercises in each routine. Each week I will either add weight to the lifts, or do more repetitions. When I reach week 7, that is when I go my heaviest. The last week I use as a deload week where I go lighter on the lifts.

You do not need to feel completely dead after your workouts. You also shouldn’t be sore all the time after your workouts. If you are, you need to take a look at your recovery methods.

6 days a week is a lot of exercise. If that’s what feels good for you, keep doing that. However, lifting 3-4 days a week is also enough.

I’d recommend (like most people here) reaching out to a physical therapist about your knee. It’s better to figure that out now before hurting it further. Additionally, if it’s in the budget, I’d recommend seeing a personal trainer and going through your program with them. They can look at your form to make sure that you’re not going to injure yourself. Also, they can help you come up with an effective routine for YOUR body.

Like I said, I am a personal trainer and LOVE talking about all this stuff. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Back