is fast metabolism really a myth?

rumiakthar

I realize a lot of people who claim they have a fast metabolism are really just not eating enough but is there really no such thing as a fast metabolism? I feel like some of us get away with eating more while not getting noticibly fat.

@rumiakthar You have to understand the difference between BMR and TDEE.

BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount of calories your body would require to function if you were in a coma. The variability of BMR between people varies somewhat, but not much.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the total number of calories you burn in a day both at rest and through activity. This can vary WILDLY between people for a huge variety of reasons. Usually when people refer to a “fast” or “slow” metabolism, they’re actually talking about TDEE.

@rumiakthar No you don’t. Go on a TDEE calculator website and type in the stats it asks for (usually height, weight, age, and activity level). That will give you a ballpark estimate of TDEE.

Based on that number, adjust your calories according to your goals. Weight yourself regularly in the morning before eating and track the weekly average of that number. If it isn’t moving in the direction you want at the rate you want, adjust calories accordingly.

@rumiakthar Because there is a prevailing narrative even among a lot of fitness professionals that "(kilo)calories don't matter" as if the laws of thermodynamics don't exist

Yes it's vastly more complicated than that and there are huge social, behavioural and endocrinological variances between people and there are so many different feedback loops and ways to fail that 90+% of people don't long term succeed...

But 4,184 joules is 4,184 joules, and no amount of activists saying "some people still get fat eating less than their TDEE" makes it true.

If you eat less calories than you burn, long term, you lose weight. If this is not true, then entropy is not true.

@thunderchildau There isn’t a practical way to directly measure it but you can calculate it with an online calculator. This isn’t particularly useful because it doesn’t actually matter. Only TDEE matters.

@rumiakthar
I feel like some of us get away with eating more while not getting noticibly fat.

I think everyone overestimates and underestimates how many calories they're actually consuming. I was once severely underweight due to an illness and had to count my daily intake so I could steadily increase it. It was really eye opening. I thought I was eating a lot but in reality my average daily calorie intake was relatively low.

@veroch So many skinny people try to say they just have a fast metabolism, meanwhile they're never finishing a meal lol. I don't think they realize how much some people eat. It's just like how fat people say they don't even eat that much.

@rumiakthar Your metabolism is just an umbrella term for all the chemical reactions going on in your body at any one time (not only the ones involved in burning calories!) It's not really accurate to call it "fast" or "slow", so the term "fast metabolism" isn't scientific.

That said: yes, people burn very different numbers of calories. The bigger you are and the more active you are, the more you'll burn, in general. But even if you have two people the same size and the same activity level, one might burn 2500 and one might burn 3000 because people are different! Your calorie burn also changes over time and with different circumstances.

So these things can be true at the same time:
  • Some people have an easier time than others staying skinny.
  • Everyone has a calorie intake level that will result in gaining weight. That number will be very high for some people and very low for others.
Here's a deeper dive on that question: https://macrofactorapp.com/metabolism/

@londonmum that being said

if the small person with a higher BMR bulked, their maintenance calories would all else being equal be even higher.

if the fat guy with a lower BMR cut, their maintenance calories would all else equal be even lower unless they built a bunch of muscle or became a lot more active because they felt better/made conscious lifestyle changes.