Is it appropriate for a coach to physically correct you?

@kingshellie I don’t think this sounds inappropriate or like you’re overreacting, it doesn’t have to be one thing or the other.

It’s totally okay to just let him know that you’d prefer not to have hands-on corrections/adjustments and would find verbal cues more helpful, and IF he’s not a huge creep, that’s the only interaction you’ll need to have about this topic.

@kingshellie I have seen a trend with the more touchy physical trainers being the ones who end up taking advantage of their clients. I would talk to him and express how you feel about the touching. If you’re happy and comfortable with his response then keep training with him. Otherwise there are plenty of physical trainers and you can find another one.

@kingshellie I play a full body contact sport and when the coach wants to correct something or explain something they ask permission to touch me every time while practice mainly consists of hitting people hard lmao. You’re not overreacting.

@kingshellie I've never been touched while being corrected in CrossFit. It's always "butt back", "knees out", "hips higher/lower", "shoulders over bar", "elbows up", etc.

You are not overreacting, the coaching can be done verbally before stepping in to touch you physically.

You need to tell the coach sternly, "You need to ask for my consent before physically touching me". Do not worry about sounding like a "bitch". You are paying them, consent is a serious matter.

And I would talk to the owners about your interaction and how you feel uncomfortable about it. If they respond well, great, if not, you might have to switch gyms.

@kingshellie I am a PT. This sounds inappropriate.

I’ll sometimes (quite infrequently tbh) touch my clients to help give cues, but it’s in very safe places, and with like a light finger poke. For example the back, maybe arms or shoulders. I’m not going anywhere near glutes, hips, even upper hamstring. I might tap a finger or hold a guiding hand out behind the leg, right above the knee if I need to give a cue for the legs. Male and female clients both.

If I’m spotting heavy barbell squats, I’m still well behind my client, hands hovering under the arm pits, if I need to go in quick with a forearm lift.

It’s not really necessary to touch clients that much, and if you need to, you’re not a very good trainer, imo.

@kingshellie You’re not overreacting. The best trainers are the ones who know touch can help and harm, and don’t offer touchy support without explicit consent. My most favorite personal trainer hit the ground running with the acknowledgment that there are predators in the field and that they can absolutely take advantage. Which isn’t to say your coach is for sure a criminal as much to say that you have every right and reason to trust your gut on this!

@kingshellie I don't think you're overreacting. I'm a 26F as well, who goes to gyms frequently and works with trainers. If you are uncomfortable, tell him that. He will stop if he doesn't want to lose a client, or his job. It's very unprofessional to date or flirt with clients, and bad for business.

@kingshellie Whenever a trainer has physically corrected me they have kept it to a finger poke (like i need to twist my hips forward they will poke me into the correct position, or they will tap the back of my knee ect), a foot (hips too high in a plank) or open palmed/back handed(rather than grabbing my whole arm etc) and generally it's always after trying a verbal cue first. It's always after I've been going for a while and both feel more comfortable with each other too

It could be that they haven't learned how to keep it minimal and that it makes people feel uncomfortable. I would speak up, or chance trainers/gyms.

@kingshellie My archery instructor runs a weekly free beginner class for the bow club. Form is everything. Dozens of new people pass through some weeks, and my instructor never fails to include in his orientation speech to each individual person the following question: "Are you comfortable with me touching you in order to physically correct your form?"

99% of people are fine with it. And he remembers and respects the boundaries of those who aren't. Your trainer should have asked.

@kingshellie Even if it was well-intended, there is only one potential reason I can think of why he couldn’t have checked with you prior and obtained consent, and that’s to avoid an IMMINENT safety threat.

Was that the case?

@kingshellie It’s not ok if you aren’t comfortable with it. My husband is my coach. He never physically touched me to correct position. He shows me what I’m doing with my body by copying it with his body (so if I’m slouching, he will slouch and do the movement and how it’s wrong). Then he show with his body what my form/movement should look like with the movement. So that I’m targeting the right areas. But he doesn’t physically touch me to get his point across… and I’m married to him.

@kingshellie I think some coaches are just more hands on, but if you mention that you’d prefer verbal cues only and they don’t change their behavior and/or apologize, then it’s time to move on and find someone who respects your boundaries.

I was at the gym this week and watched this older male trainer sit crotch to crack with his trainee to show her how to do a shoulder press and I wanted to barf. She keeps coming back to him though so I guess she didn’t mind…

Back