Is it possible for someone in my circumstances to get a pull-up bar...?

kaylen500

So I've been researching pull-up bars for days now trying to find one which would be compatible with my circumstances. I live in a rental apartment, so screwing up a simple pull-up bar within a door frame isn't an option. And from what I've heard, the door frame itself ( , ) makes it difficult to get a multigrip which would otherwise rival the stability of a simple one. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Am I just out of luck? What would you do in my situation? How stable are simple pull-up bars that aren't screwed on, in your experience? Either a or something like . I intuitively don't trust them, but I'd love to be wrong about it, otherwise I'm screwed... As someone who's not into the finer details of the exercise world, pull-up bars covering so many muscles makes it really appealing in its simplicity. Thanks in advance for any insight.

EDIT: I'm 65-70kg, and 6'2 if it's of any relevance

@kaylen500 You could always get something freestanding like the BaseBar or Big Bar from Base Blocks. That particular brand is a bit pricey but there are cheaper alternatives as well.

@stacymom2son It's what I heard from family, though I haven't asked the landlord. Maybe it could be a last resort but I'd rather avoid all the hassle that comes with it if at all possible

@avidreader9559 Holes in the wall/ceiling that don't need remodeling to fix aren't a reason for keeping a deposit, and if they like to use this as an excuse they'll use anything

@avidreader9559 its reaaaallly not hard to hide a hole in the wall. just gotta be sure to hit a stud if new construction. with this particular power dynamic, i wouldnt limit my options beyond major additions and remodeling. its how i learned gc work anyway, practice properties i wanted a security deposit back on. ignorance is bliss and almost conditional for landlords

@kaylen500 Honestly I'd look for a place to drill into a wooden beam or concrete in the ceiling. It's easier to get out of the way, you don't hit your head and you don't damage your doorframe. If you remove it you just have to fill it with spackle and paint over it

@kaylen500 The one i posted is 6cm and needs 5cm contact area...

Although you're relatively light, so the others you posted might be fine to do a few pullups.

I don't know what your budget is or how much space you have, but i've heard decent things about the Sportsroyals Power Tower Dip Station. Its like 160 euros.

@whalstib I use something quite similar across the hallway between the edges of two doorways (staggered from each other). (There are usually vertical studs at the side of doorframes). The bar pushes between those studs directly on top of the molding at the corners of the two doors. Rock solid.

@kaylen500 Get a freestanding one, that comes to bits like a pull up mate or gravity fitness make one. you can leave it set up in a room, and take it down in like 5 minutes if you have guests over or whatever.

@kaylen500 yes, the tension rods hold a surprising amount of weight. it's a fine option to start with.

i recommend some dip bars too. for ~50 bucks they're insanely useful.

@kaylen500 I don't trust those doorframe bars that screw out into the door. I had one that I could never get to stay without falling, and I've heard plenty of stories of people falling off theirs. Also, when properly extended, they sometimes push into the doorframe too much and end up damaging the frame a little.

I'd recommend a freestanding tower. Something like this .

Alternatively, if your home really doesn't have a good option, just find a pullup bar somewhere outside and go there. Pullups are pretty versatile in where you can do them. I spent the first 2-3 years working out without a home bar.

@kaylen500 I've never tried one with such wide grips but I personally wouldn't use that type of bar at all. I'd constantly be worried about falling and that would prevent me from fully engaging in my workout. Also, even if it allows for controlled pullups with a slow descend, what happens if sometime you're more tired than usual and let your weight drop more quickly? Because it probably will happen if you work out long enough. Will it hold? What happens if you want to try weighted pullups?

This may just be my personal bias talking, I do know many people successfully use bars like that with no issues. But the way I see it, when you're regularly tiring yourself out hanging from something, you need to have complete trust that it won't fall. Especially considering those bars hang pretty low, so you'll be doing pullups with your knees bent. If it falls, you're falling flat on your knees.

I get your space concern. There are foldable freestanding options that are more expensive but allow for more space control - you can look into them.