Is sleep or training more important

scott1102

I’m trying to improve at my sport, mountain biking, and so the skills side of that I’ve been asking that subReddit about that, but this question is about the fitness side of it. I’m in high school and my long term goal is to make it to the highest division in a few different racing disciplines. My school starts at 7, and currently I workout 2 times a day for 3-4 days a week and once every other day (except Sunday). I’d like to increase it to 2-3 workouts everyday but my school kind of gets in the way of that, and I’d have to lose some sleep. So my question is this, in my situation is it better to train more but only get 6 hours of sleeps or to train less but get 8 hours. Again, I want to get to the pro level in my sport so training might be more important than sleep right now even if it is a bit worse for my health, whatever will progress me faster is what I want to do.

@scott1102 I can see your dedication to reaching the highest level in mountain biking, and I'm here to provide you with a sincere response.

Balancing training and sleep can be a challenge, especially when you have ambitious goals. Here's the thing: both training and sleep are crucial for your progress and overall health. It's not an either-or situation, but rather a matter of finding the right balance.

Sleep is essential for recovery, and it plays a fundamental role in your body's ability to repair and strengthen itself. It also affects your cognitive function, mood, and overall well-being. Inadequate sleep can lead to fatigue, poor performance, and an increased risk of injuries.

On the other hand, training is obviously vital for your skill development and physical conditioning. However, overtraining or pushing your body too hard without adequate rest can lead to burnout, decreased performance, and even injuries.

Given your goal of reaching the pro level, I understand your desire to train more intensively. However, it's crucial to prioritize recovery, especially in a high school setting where your body is still growing and developing.

My recommendation is to aim for a balance that allows you to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night while optimizing your training schedule. Consider speaking with a coach or trainer who can help design a training program that fits your goals and time constraints. This way, you can work towards your aspirations with the right guidance.

Also, be aware that you can take the initiative to contact us privately. We'd be happy to provide you with additional advice and support. Stay motivated, and with the right approach, you'll achieve your aspirations in mountain biking while taking care of your health.

Back