Is there anything I can do that doesn’t require me to change my diet, but will still make me loose weight?

@psalms91forme it's not for everyone. It just happens to be the best way for some to reach your goals. We can always think "hey! I'm eating less! and healthier! why isn't this working?" go to r/CICO and see that everyone started losing weight once they measured and tracked everything. There are plenty of adopters there that lost 20-100 lbs of the course of year by weighing and measuring everything. They put in the work and got the results.

If this was easy, then everyone would be in great shape.

@psalms91forme The only effective way to lose weight without modifying your diet and/or exercising a ton more would be GLP-1 weight loss drugs, and really they're just going to force you to modify your diet by eating less.

@psalms91forme Lol we're not gonna tell you any different than your trainer. If you want to eat like you do and lose the gut, then you better be working out twice a day with higher calorie burn activities. Shit that makes you sweat and engages the entire body, rowing, swimming etc.

@swordland I guess that’s the thing - I don’t wanna track it. I eat meat each meal of the day. But I don’t wanna count calories, carbs and proteins. I just wanna eat and enjoy it. Eating is a pleasurable thing to me.

@psalms91forme Totally fine - just don’t complain about not getting your body to what you want. I’m sure that the majority of us would love to look like fitness models while eating everything we want and not doing any exercise.

@psalms91forme sure. the body changes as we get older. We have to adapt. I could eat 1500 calories of potato chips as a snack when I was a teenager. Now? My maintenance calories is 1850/day with 6 hours of weight training a week, a 3 mile hill run/week, and 8k steps/day.

@davis32123 This. I’m not sure why no one is mentioning it but if you workout enough to where you’re at a caloric deficit you will lose weight. It’s science. And yes - even if you keep your diet. It may mean running several miles a day on top of the strength training but if giving up the food isn’t something he’ll do, then CICO should work.

@psalms91forme If something isn’t working then carrying on without changing anything is stupid. Listen to your coach, reduce the calories/carbs, increase protein and see some results. If you’re happy with a bigger gut then carry on

@psalms91forme I don’t think your trainer’s advice of simply “eat more protein” is the best first move.

Yes, eating higher protein (if your protein intake is rather low) could be helpful for recovery and muscle growth, and satiety, but it wouldn’t be my first recommendation. I would guess your protein intake is not excessively low, but I could be wrong, only you can figure that out.

A dietary change is likely required to lose and maintain a lower body fat level.

I would suggest you take small incremental steps towards a health-promoting eating pattern. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes. Incorporate nuts, and seeds regularly. Eat lean meats, fish, and plant sources of protein. Limit saturated fat from animal sources. Limit added sugars. Limit sugar- sweetened beverages.

To the extent you can make your diet more like this, weight loss and weight maintenance at a healthy body weight will become easier. You don’t have to be perfect, and you don’t have to do this all at once.

Exercise although extremely important for a whole host of reasons, is not a very powerful tool for weight loss. No where near as critical as diet. If you’re curious as to why, check out the book “Burn” by Herman Pontzer.

Good luck.

@psalms91forme It’s great you already have an understanding of thermodynamics. I think for you this is really about mindset and discovering a way to alter your diet that doesn’t dismiss your culture or greatly diminish tge eating experience.

I’m Asian and I definitely understand the fear of deciding to follow a diet and being stuck eating boring “white people food” (please don’t come for me Reddit, I didn’t make this term up). I have a colleague that does research on AAPI health outcomes and research shows increases in disease are largely due to decreases in activity and increases in convenience and quantities of food. Obviously this isn’t just in AAPI populations! Since our day to day lives have changed so much from the lives of our ancestors, it just makes sense we have to make some changes to our diets too. I may have the wide feet and broad shoulders of my ancestors, but I don’t do manual labor or have limited food like they did.

Anyway, I’m here to tell you that you can have both! Food can hit your macros and be true to flavors and traditions you love. It just takes a little extra effort and creativity.

Not sure if you are East Asian from your post, but Michelle Jaelin is a culturally sensitive dietician that gives great tips. For extra protein, try boba protein. And if it’s a possibility, consider working with a culturally sensitive nutritionist/dietician to find ways to improve your nutrition in ways that feel authentic. This may be more helpful to you given your body comp goals. I hope this is somewhat helpful!