Just bought a Concept 2 Model D rower with PM5. Recommended iOS apps?

patona

I see a number of apps on the Concept 2 website that claim to work with the PM5’s Bluetooth connection.

Anyone here have any apps they recommend? I bought the rower for two CF-related reasons: 1) I want to be faster in WODs with rowing. 2) I want to increase my overall cardio conditioning to perform better in non-rowing WODs.

I’m almost 49 and want to keep pushing my training... but with less joint impact.

@patona ErgData. Great app just started using it this year. The bonus is that it works with ski and bike as well.
Will be getting something to monitor hearth rate as I train for rowing a marathon distance this year.

@terrymoore just get a wahoo tickr chest monitor. works on both ANT and BT so you can connect to a phone app to track HR over the workout and it'll also connect to rowers monitor at the same time.

@patona Based on your stated goals...

You want the Year of the Engine programming from The Gains Lab. It's literally exactly what you're looking for. I'd be doing you a disservice if I did not mention it.

source: current YotE subscriber.

@kint Very much agree on this one.

I'm only halway the 3rd week and have allready noticed improvements.

The thing that struck me most is that allready after the first week I noticed my heartrate and breathing recover so much faster during the few seconds breaks during a metcon or after any high intensity WOD/exercise.

Well worth a try.

@ancientraven Sounds like that’s two votes for ErgData so far.

I checked out your Erg Arcade and dig it. I’m geeky and my laptop is OSX so I’ll definitely be trying out some of the stuff on your site. Thanks! Do you host any of your apps on GitHub for feedback and/or merge requests?

@patona Not an app, but I’m enjoying earbuds with a HR monitor. They’re Bluetooth and connect to the erg. I push way too hard on my steady state.

Ergdata and the log website are all I really want right now.

@patona I've used ErgData, the only thing I don't like about it is you have to reset the app during a workout when you come back, unless the erg is set to a specific rest/work time.

@patona Certified rowing coach and L2 CF coach here. I’ve used both LiveRowing and ErgData and I don’t like either one. LR seemed pretty buggy to me and seems to be for the majority of users in the FaceBook UG as well. And I just felt overwhelmed with data with ErgData. The PM3 has a ton of info and if you know its capacity and capabilities, it does everything you need

Back