Spiraling down a pandemic depression hole so I bought a treadmill

@godzillla any activity will help you feel better immediately (exercise endorphins ftw!) and definitely help you get more motivated in the long term to restart a regular routine with fitness. there are some great resources for walk/run training online (apps with programs like Couch to 5k, etc). just pick one and start the beginner program and work from there. any movement will be a net positive at this point! just pick a program and start, try not to think about what you did before or how much work is in front of you, just take it one day and workout at a time.

@godzillla Hey. Glad you got a treadmill!! It’s a great workout and gives you, you time. I recently got one too. There are pros and cons to it though. I used to be a runner which is what motivated me to get it. So I started brisk walking on it first. Then jogging. I do 3-6 days a week on it. There are days when I get lazy and don’t even want to look at it. But then there are days when I love it.

In addition to an hour on the treadmill (around 3 miles or so), I do atleast 50-60 sit ups/crunches, 20 push ups, and some weights and call it good.

It’s worth it because you’re in your own space. Go to r/runningmusic to get ideas on cool playlists to jam to.

Good luck. Honestly this really helps me with my depression too. Also try calling friends or family while on the treadmill so you don’t get bored - time flies more easily. Or watch Netflix. Haha

@godzillla I love my treadmill now that I have the ifit app - it’s awesome! My treadmill is old and doesnt pair w the app but it totally doesn’t matter. Walking is great for mental and physical health. Ive lost 15 lbs walking only in 2 months!

@godzillla The C25k app is free and I find it great! I've been really bad at working out after summer too because of the weather but I find that if I even walk for 10 minutes in a day I feel accomplished! If you're able to set up the treadmill in front of the tv that's even better and the best way to walk and watch at the same time.

@jaydon111 Yes! This is my advice too! I’m a beginning/intermediate runner after a lifetime of thinking people who ran for fun were insane. Podcasts and audio books are the way to go! A 30 min jog can be absolutely miserable for me without entertainment, but if I put on a podcast I’m interested in (my favorite is the true crime genre), I can run for 45-60 min no problem because I’m engrossed in the story.

@godzillla Good on you! Make treadmilling something you look forward to and you’ll be able to get a habit going. Tie it to something you like doing — get a show or movie you want to watch and treat yourself by watching it and getting a nice workout in! I personally have my video games setup on the treadmill: 2-3mph + incline + a good long playing session DOES have results (in the past few months, I’ve established a habit and lost 15 lbs by being committed to my video gaming sessions 😉 )

@muddysandals I do this too. I walk outside in my neighborhood and I have a podcast that I always look forward to (Office Ladies) and I try to only listen to it when I’m walking. Knowing that I get to listen to something I’m excited about gets me over the mental hump of having to put on my winter gear so I can go outside.

@godzillla Get the peloton app! It’s free for 2 months. I have been feeling sluggish and super tired and I just did a 20 min run+ walk with Jess Sims. She’s great! Also, my favorite instructor, Robin Arzon, is pregnant and they have pregnancy classes.

@godzillla What kind of treadmill did you buy? If you want to try running, you can download a couch to 5k app. Otherwise I find walking while on the phone or watching tv to be pretty painless.

@kuriosiesouschristos I bought a stationary bike in November that I've been using fairly often.

Today I casually cycled for 1.5 hours while playing the new Assassins Creed. Imagine my delight when I looked down and saw that I had done 30km!

@godzillla My husband is immunocompromised so I pandemic purchased a spin bike a few months ago, which has helped me manage my anxiety immensely. No regrets! If you need more structure, I highly recommend the treadmill classes you can get in the peloton app which is 2 months free right now! They have walking and running too.

@godzillla Are you me? I checked out your other posts and saw we have the same condition and we both have fiddle leaf figs that are struggling! How's yours doing after the transplant.

I love walking! I was lucky that after being totally locked in for months on end, I moved to the countryside and can now walk. When the weather sucks, I put on a Leslie Sansone walk at home vid from YouTube or work out to a Home Mission from Zombies Run (free and easy to do at home). I've also done the Zombies Run couch to 5k before and loved it!