Spiraling down a pandemic depression hole so I bought a treadmill

@godzillla This was such a great purchase! I wouldn’t focus too much on a big fitness regime overhaul. Just start incorporating it into otherwise sedentary activities such as phone calls, texting, or watching tv. I’d say don’t even worry about how much you’re sweating at first too. Just get on a nice relaxing pace that you can maintain for the length of an episode of your favorite tv show. Once that gets boring maybe enhance either an incline or dumbbells. That dopamine response will start kicking in even if you aren’t running a marathon. Maybe even make it social. Ask a friend to join you for a virtual walk and talk.

** OP your post motivated me to get off my butt and get back on track with my routine. I tried a new (to me) app called “Zombies, run!”. Highly recommend you check it out when your new treadmill arrives!!

@liz1019 I'll walk as slow as 1.5 mph on the treadmill if it means I'm walking while watching tv instead of sitting! Usually I go faster, but I'm still maxing out at 2.5 mph. I'm trying to make sure it stays fun and easy! Then I will slowly continue to bump it higher.

@echo78 I put on a dark classical playlist in the background and felt like I was in a horror movie running/walking around in the dark. Definitely made me move faster!

@liz1019 For me, after a while I got carried away by the story and would run on days I didn’t feel like it, just to hear the next episode.

Also, listening to the chatter on Radio Abel made it worthwhile to keep running behind my planned running time/distance.

@liz1019 I completely second walking on the treadmill while watching TV! I started making fitness a habit while watching one TV show only when I was walking on the treadmill or on an exercise bike. Walking is great for fitness. Once you start moving even a little bit you will feel better.

@machine45 No joke, I trained for a half marathon on a treadmill while watching Netflix. One of my favorite memories is watching Guardians of the Galaxy II while on a 10 mile run

@machine45 I love tv and movies so it was how I justified how much screen time I was logging. It started when I was just out of college and living back home. I’d spend a solid 2.5-3 hours on different cardio machines at the gym just to be able to not talk to someone for a while (definitely an introvert!).

@machine45 I do this too! I have a “treadmill show” that I’m only allowed to watch when I’m walking/running. It’s super great for those days when you really don’t feel like it but then you remember that you can watch another episode of your show if you work out!

@godzillla Absolutely not a mistake! Chiming in with another vote for the peloton app. They are offering a two month free trial right now and the treadmill classes (walking, jogs, running, bootcamps) helped me SO much during quarantine. They also offer bodyweight strength classes, yoga, pilates, etc. that do not require any equipment. Hugs to you

@godzillla Walking jogging is great!!! Start with this and try not to think of what to do next. Just one step (literally) at a time. You’ve got this!

You could check out the Peloton app, they have treadmill walk/jog classes (and yoga, stretching, strength training, etc). I use it for yoga, spinning and meditation. And their outdoor classes.

@godzillla I think any movement is valuable and you will feel accomplished having done something!

When you feel like you're ready, you could add some power walking workouts that include increasing the incline to add more of a strength challenge to your treadmill workout, and also mix things up between any other walking/jogging workouts you do.

@godzillla I don’t know what you do for work, but if part of your job is phone based, could you take calls on the treadmill on a verrrrry low setting so your breathing isn’t altered?

@godzillla Walking is so good for you!! Crank up some music and jam out.

If you feel up to it, add some 1-2 lb dumbbells for a minute or two at a time. (Canned goods work too!)

The Peloton app (free for 60 days) has walking classes, power walk, and walk-run... all the way up to running and marathon training. They also have body weight strength classes.

@eshaun92 And one of their strength class types is dance cardio! Some days I don't want to "exercise", but dance? Dance I can do. It's a great pick me up when exercise seems boring or you just aren't having fun. And no one's watching, so there's no failing at a dance step - just rewind and try the step again!