Learn to play sports as an adult?

datahead

I (F26) have lived in different countries, I am half austrian and half dutch. Which made it quite hard for me to pursue my sports. As a child I grew up with competitive alpine skiing, which I was quite good at and still has my heart after all this time. In the summers I tried playing tennis, but I don't have the hand-eye coördination for it. It was actually very frustrating for me haha. When I moved to the Netherlands as a teen, I had no sports. I tried out competitive rowing, which I grew bored of quite quickly. I have thought of ice skating, but I was never good at it. Besides this I got diagnosed with a chronic illness at 18 y/o and until 2022 I was in really bad shape, spent my days trying to survive and finding the right medication. I lost a lot of muscle mass due to my illness, but since last year I have been in remission and until now I have been going to the gym (on/off due to illness) and I actually want to implement some kind of sports into my life again. Going to the gym is just not the same as playing sports. People have always told me that because of my height (1.83m) volleyball or basketball would be great for me. I am interested in volleyball, but I am a bit scared to start amd fail if I am honest.

What would your suggestions be based on my backstory and trying to find a sports as an adult?

@datahead Roller derby! Teams usually have a "learn to skate" type program, but with a skiing background you'll probably pick it up quickly. There's no ball so hand eye coordination is unnecessary, and because it's a less known sport the community aspect is incredible. I've moved around a lot as an adult and derby is the only thing that has remained constant in my life and helped me get out and meet new people while staying in shape!

@datahead Depending on your locale, Pickleball might be a great option. It's easy to learn and have fun and then you can spend the rest of your life mastering its subtleties (if you want). Or just have fun.

It has an open play concept where people just show up and play with random strangers at the courts, but taking a local group class is a great way to start.

@datahead Any Badminton or Wandergruppe in your area? Have you looked on meetup? 5k running group? Golf league? (I would also suggest kickball or ultimate frisbee but that may be a US thing)

I was asked to join a park volleyball group by people in my meetup hiking group.

Sometimes just need to find the friends group first and then new activities will come. Adult sports seems to be much more socially motivated than trying to win.

@datahead Curling is the perfect sport to start as an adult! I started when I was 29 (I’m 42 now). It is a sport that is hard to master but everyone can play, and it is fun for all ability levels. No skates so there’s not that learning curve. And curlers are the friendliest, most welcoming people you’ll ever meet.

@datahead I was in the same boat! I turned 30 last year and I started learning how to play tennis. It’s been great and I managed to meet and reconnect with people because of it. 😊

@datahead Rugby! Super welcoming to new players and literally any size or shape person can play. I'm the same height as you and also used to row but got bored of it. Plus I ski, though not competitively.

@anfilho Rugby is such a great community. I played throughout college and a little after. It's a bit hard on your body. I've practice with the local club teams and played touch with them...but full tackle seems a bit daunting as I age and am throwing my back out doing who knows what lol.

@anfilho Thirding rugby! Google “women’s rugby [your location]” ― local teams are always accepting newbies. Great way to make friends and exercise.

@anfilho Seconding rugby! Lots of folks start as adults and pick it up well. Club can be a great environment to play with folks of all backgrounds and touch is a lot of fun if you don't necessarily want to do contact but still want to play :)

@susan417 I'm 33! Started at 28, but I know someone who started at 40-something. It's worth building strength as well as training to help avoid injuries, and obviously injuries do happen, but you can help yourself mitigate the impact and reduce the risk with technique and some conditioning