Anyone else struggling with a skill that seems impossible to learn?

@jonathan_gale Unpopular opinion ..... L1 and L2 endorsements, or any endorsement in or outside of crossfit, does not make you a good gymnastics coach.

The only suggestion I have is keep working on strength, keep trying different cues and eventually you'll get one.....maybe.

@jonathan_gale I feel you. I used to be able to do calisthenics muscles up which are theoretically harder. But the almost glide kip used in CrossFit eludes me ahhaha. Doing some personal sessions with my CrossFit coach now to work on it and also lat straight arm strength to increase my pull/press down power

@jonathan_gale Hand stand walk. I probably don’t practice enough though. I worked my butt off trying to get BMU and RMUs (kipping and strict)…but I can’t get my body aligned for HSW.

I’m hoping once I settle down from my move that I can use Open Gym time to work on skill.

@jonathan_gale Handstand (push ups). Never did them when I was a child so the notion of standing upside down was scary. Starting from about last month, I can hold a handstand for at least 10 seconds. Yet I still have a problem with the kick up part, so I still have to support myself from a box to do so.

@cute_bhatti2004 I walked 3-5 feet to the wall for a long time. Then one day someone challenged me to try them in a workout, and it clicked. I like to keep my hands in a narrow stacked position, and think about pulling my heels over my head. It’s basically a controlled fall across the floor.

@cute_bhatti2004 Figure out a proper handstand form first. You want to imagine one straight line from your toes to your fingertips. Film yourself if you have to so you can see where you’re breaking your vertical line.

Most, if not all, of your control in a handstand will come down to your fingertips, the rest will be your core and a tiny bit of shoulder work. Your fingers should be actively gripping the ground. Imagine someone pulling a string from your bellybutton through to your back to keep your stomach tight. You want to have an active shoulder position - push up through them towards your ears.

Practice your handstand holds facing the wall - it’s going to be a much better position than facing away from the wall. When you kick up facing away from the wall - you’re practicing going straight past the vertical position and training yourself to not be able to find the correct position naturally. As for kicking up, you don’t need a massive forceful kick, your body is a lever and you can control more by just gently kicking to the position you’ve been practicing.

The tighter your handstand, the easier it is to control and move. You’ll feel safer and more secure. The steps will come naturally. The arch back-legs over shoulders-banana crap is not going to be a consistent, reliable position that you can control.

@jonathan_gale I can not figure out butterfly pullups or handstand walking. I have several strict pullups and have been kipping for years, but for the life of me, I can't wrap my brain around butterflies. Handstand walking stresses me out because I am afraid of falling, I have the strength, but I am not sure what I need to do to get past my mental block.