Low ferritin (i.e. iron storage) diagnosis and treatment update

@mathighas Oh man, I'm so happy you're feeling better! It's crazy how quick it turns around once you know what going on and can address it. Glad the post was helpful.

@ally143 I got a ferritin test a few months ago and it came back as 20 ug/L. My doctor said that was fine. Is that low? :/ My hemoglobin levels and blood cell counts are otherwise totally normal.

@hismusic Checked - in British Columbia, anything below 100ug/L warrants further tests, and anything below 15 is an iron deficiency diagnostic on its own. At 14, my doctor told me if it went lower, i would probably start losing hair.

@ally143 I'm sure I can google this, but just for the sake of interest in the topic, when iron levels are low, you supplement with iron and vitamin c. Is it the same protocol for low ferritin?

I was diagnosed anemic once.... or with something that required vitamin c + iron of some kind. Man, iron supplements, they cause constipation. My doc said as long as I have my period, I can keep taking them about as often as I was able to: about 2-3 times a week.

@tweety12 Basically yeah, but if your ferritin level doesn't improve after supplementation for a while you might get tested for issues that prevent iron absorption, like hypothyroidism and celiac disease. You might need IV iron if supplements don't work (which sometimes happens when if you have chronically low ferritin). Or you might end up with a doctor who stops caring about this as long as your hemoglobin is okay.

If you haven't tried them yet, maybe ask your doctor about Polysaccharide Iron Complex supplements? They're not as cheap as some of the other types of iron supplements, but they are easier to absorb and probably won't make you constipated.

@fanna My doc told me essentially I could try any iron supplement, and that it would be personal. She is suuuper laid back, so it might seem like she's lost interest, but I'm commonly, "Oh, it's fine I feel it works." Which is my own issue, and I like that she isn't super strict with the prescription. I ordered some of this type, too, and for $15, it's worth trying. (Also spent $10 on the other suggestion. In the scheme of things, it's nothing compared to being tired!)

Thank you so much for the suggestion. And I'll get back to taking in the AM. Or start in the AM. For so long, I just take one once or twice a week whenever I think of it.

@tweety12 If you're not vegetarian and can afford a little higher price tag, taking heme iron instead of non-heme can be helpful for absorption! I took Feramax for years and it stopped being effective/really hurt my stomach lately so I looked for other options and I'm taking a generic of Proferrin, which is heme iron (not vegetarian), and I can TAKE IT WITH CAFFEINE, CALCIUM, AND TEA and it's kind of an effing miracle to me to be able to take it whenever and not have a crazy upset stomach from it. It's pricier (I paid $24 with tax for 30 pills, and I'm going to take 3/day, but the bigger bottle might be slightly cheaper?) but ugh I'm so damn excited to take iron with my lattes or diet cokes or tea, I can't even tell you.

@katgreeneyes I had to come.find this comment to again. I have been taking proferrin all week, twice a day. And im still pooping! 😜 I truly figured it wouldnt work because ive been told several times, "Oh, this one will work!"

Now, hopefully it raises my iron levels to a good place for.good. I'm trying to decide how much to take. I might do 2/day for 2 weeks, or through my next period. Then take 1.5 a day through next period..then try one. Any advice?

Also, do you have a name of the generic you took? This stuff is pricy but will be worth it. But if i can get the same results for cheaper, i Will!

I'm going to buy the 90ct which cuts price. So if i can't do generic, no big deal.

@tweety12 I’m in Canada and taking Hema Fer! And it’s working really well for me too!!

The max dose is 3x per day so I’m aiming to take 3/day when I remember. I have not noticed any difference between taking 1 and taking 3 in a day.

Of course I have no idea if it’s really raising my levels but I’m going to get tested in 3 months so here’s hoping that it’s effective!

@katgreeneyes I ordered the small bottle on Amazon to give it a try (along with the two others I ordered, ha!). I'd love for SOMETHING to work so I don't have these bouts of terrible fatigue (generally first week of period if I do any sort of workout). So $25 for a try is worth it. If it works, I'll probably do the bigger bottle.

And you're speaking my language with the caffeine thing! :) And I took the iron I do have plus vitamin C on an empty stomach and remembered WHY I didn't do that. Ha. So having some freedom would be nice!

@tweety12 Vitamin C is recommended in tandem because it helps your body absorb iron, but should actually also help with the side effects. Do you eat the supplement on a full or empty stomach? My physician said to eat it on an empty stomach if I didn't have bad side effects, but if the constipation/stomach pain was too much, then to take it with food.

Apparently everyone gets a different level of side effect, and it can depend on the brand of supplement you're on. I chose to pay more for the Novo-Ferrogluc because it's apparently easier on the digestive system than some of the bulk products.

@ally143 I looked for novo ferrogluc, and it said discontinued. But I found one with a similar ingredient, and I'll try that.

I hadn't been taking mine first thing. I don't remember if I used to. I've been doing this for years. My doc thinks it's my period (which is semi heavy, it's so weird because you can't really compare periods, hahaha, but she said mine sounds heavy) that's causing it, so as long as I get some every month, I do OK. If I skip a few months, the fatigue sets in.

But even with not needing a lot, the constipation sucks (though I'm sure I was more, "it's fine if it helps" to my doc). So hopefully this new one will be less constipating. If not, I'll keep trying. Thank you!

@ally143 I never thought of that.. I did used to use those diva cups (over time i felt allergic to the rubber, tmi, so I stopped).

My doc never suggested that. She asked about rate of use and said, "You're probably average to slightly above average." Then simply said it won't hurt to take iron since I'm deficient and menstruating. And then when i couldn't take much but felt better, said to.keep doing what im doing anf we can test occasionally.

So, that's the life I'm living!

@ally143 Oh heyyyy I have this too! I'm so glad things worked out for you! It is so frustrating being exhausted and not understanding why. My ferritin was about 12 and my iron would come back as normal like yours, but also on the lower end. I've been taking supplements since January and I'm about to try to donate blood for the first time tomorrow, so we'll see how that ends up going 😬

@ally143 As somebody with potentially permanent damage from undiagnosed Vitamin deficiencies, and who gets 4-12 blood tests a year, if you're feeling bad please see your doctor get your blood tested. Even if your diet is A+ and you take all the vitamins, sometimes you can just be really inefficient or incapable of absorbing certain vitamins the typical way