Lower body gains update from an Apple-shaped girlie

jewlyen

March 2020

March 2024

BW in both photos: 61kg/135lbs
Same leggings :)

Background: started lifting in January 2020 while recovering from an ED. First year or so was basically just me figuring out how to actually lift, getting my technique down, and making very little gains. I started noticing a real difference in my physique and felt I was starting to look like someone who actually lifts probably around mid-2021. This was around the time I started to really understand mind/muscle connection, started working into higher reps ranges, and began moving away from ego lifting.

In the beginning, my training style was more that of a powerlifter (lower rep ranges, heavier weights). After a year or so of that I moved more towards “power building,” a combination of strength and hypertrophy ranges. Definitely saw gains here but the most gains have come in the last year or so after switching to a predominantly hypertrophy program, and bulking fairly intensively.

Since March 2020 I’ve cut and bulked three times. At my lowest BW I cut down to 55kg and my highest was 65kg during this most recent bulk. I am currently in the process of slowly cutting again after my longest bulk yet, which lasted from August 2023 to February 2024.

I am not someone who naturally carries weight on their lower body at all; I fall absolutely into the “apple-shaped,” category 😭. The gains have come slowly and painstakingly through a ton of dedication, progressively overloading, pushing close to failure every time, and trying to have my nutrition on point (though always room for improvement here).

Looking forward, my plan is to cut down a bit, this time probably just to 59-60kg, then go for another long term bulk. I’d like to push it to 9 months to a year of bulking this time, as I’m really seeing the positive effects of allowing the bulk to go a bit longer.

For my fellow apple shaped girls, there is hope!

Edit: for those asking, here is what my current programming looks like. As you can see, prioritizing lots of compounds. I’m not exclusively working in higher rep ranges, and I’m a huge fan of the pyramid rep scheme! Allows me to get the fun strength work in while getting in the hypertrophy work as well. On rest days I usually do yoga and/or go for a walk for an hour or so. I find it helps me a lot to recover from the heavy lifting if I’m not totally sedentary on the rest days. I usually switch up my programming every 3-4 months, but tend to use generally a similar outline, e.g. maybe swapping smith squats out for BSS, etc.

@jewlyen Your legs and glutes look awesome. Hard work pays off. May I ask did you gain weight once you bulked or did your weight stay about the same?

@jewlyen If you want to do photo comparisons properly, then do them properly. Exactly the same pose, camera angle, lighting, everything.

Otherwise you end up with what you’ve shown: images that don’t allow for accurate comparison (and “improvements” could easily be achieved by simply manipulating the pose/camera angle/lighting).

@jewlyen Amazing progress! I’m also apple shaped all the way, with long thin legs. Girl from the 2020 photo you had a nice build to the legs. That’s where I’m trying to get 😭.