Lower body gains update from an Apple-shaped girlie

@girlonfire89 Thank you. Honestly it’s such a constant process of checking myself. Have noticed myself slip back into disordered thought patterns a few times in previous cuts; this one being cut #4 though I definitely feel more equipped to deal with that when it inevitably comes up.

Sorry to hear you went through that and really hope you’re getting the help you need + are doing better now ❤️.

@jordanmom23 If you're someone who is in recovery from an eating disorder (like op is!), then the process of restricting food to cut fat and show more muscle after bulking can easily cause someone to slip back into the habits of unhealthy restrictive eating and the dangerous mentality of an eating disorder.

@jewlyen Thanks for sharing and you look great!

As someone who's never cut before and considering it now, what was your routine like for cutting? And how long do you usually cut for?

@randy321 Each time I’ve done a bulk/cut cycle it’s very much been a learning experience. This current cut I’m on atm I’ve essentially been eating all the same foods, just reducing portion size by probably 15%, which puts me at about 1700-1800 calories a day. I always try my best to get 115-140g of protein in per day. Other than that, I’m not tracking macros.

The concept of cheat days does not work at all for me as it feels like a thinly veiled binge-eating session. I just try to fit the foods I love in where I can by taking care to hit my protein goals and stay within my approximate calorie range.

I will continue to cut for a total of 10-12 weeks or until I get to my goal physique.

The only area I feel challenged to practice actual discipline in is I have also cut out my late-night sweets 🥲. Honestly for the best.

@jewlyen You've done such an amazing job!! Those thighs are of steel.

I've never cut or bulked before, but this makes me wonder if I should start. Do you think that was a big contributor to the change?

@chantelle24 Thank you!!

Bulking and cutting has been probably the biggest contributor to making visible physique gains but tbh I didn’t do a real cut/bulk cycle until almost two years into the journey. For me personally, since I’ve always been at a “healthy,” bodyweight it worked well to take those first couple years to kinda just eat at maintenance, figure out my technique, programming, etc., and focus on getting good at lifting! Then when I went to cut and bulk, it felt like it was worth it and I could actually be effective with it, if that makes sense 😅.

Probably depends a lot on the individual but for me personally, getting serious about bulking/cutting came after getting serious about the lifting itself.

@jewlyen Cutting and bulking with actual discipline is the one thing I just cannot get myself to do. I know it would help and that I generally have good discipline, food is just a massive mental block and I also have dealt with ED. How did you approach this part of it successfully?

@struggle101 Totally understand what you mean, me too. Honestly, doing both bulking and cutting over longer periods of time has worked a lot better for me personally versus taking the aggressive approach to either. Especially when it comes to cutting, it’s so much easier mentally for me just decrease caloric intake by a marginal amount for a longer period of time versus being intense about it. Feels more like I get to be a normal person that way and also allows me to have a way lower likelihood of slipping back into disordered eating behaviors. I don’t think I could ever do “real” bodybuilding, like competing or prep bc it just seems way too intense and triggering for me given my history.

@jewlyen Thanks for sharing! I'm an overweight Apple and I absolutely hate my shape and I'm working really hard on lower body and also tracking calories/protein to help lose some weight. I frequently get discouraged. My weight loss is going slowly, mostly because I'm not being disciplined enough but also because I don't want to lose the muscle I've been gaining.

I've been a binge eater for a long time and have finally gotten it mostly under control so that really doesn't help either. I have hope! I'm going to keep trying lol.

@jewlyen Right? I'm hoping this is going to be the time it sticks. I've gained and lost the same 10 lbs a few times in the past 9ish years, but this time I've made it to 15lbs and still seem to be trending down. I'm the most consistent I've ever been with lifting too and it's hard to see, but I can feel the different. I just vascillate between excited and discouraged.

@jewlyen Wow that’s amazing! Literally in shock and awe at your progress! You should be so proud of the gains girlie, but also from recovering from an ED. Strength training and exercise was what finally helped me jump start recovery from my ED, and I’m super thankful for it! Wonderful job!

@jewlyen I need you to understand the following comes with all the respect and admiration I can muster:

DAT ASS!

Congrats on all your progress. I’m particularly impressed by your long term approach to your bulking and cutting cycles, especially in the wake of an ED. Honestly, great work!