M, 41, 5'9", 150 -- Not getting stronger on L-sit Pull-ups, dips, tucked ice-cream makers, pseudo planche push-ups

fanner570

As the title says, I'm having trouble making progress. I've been doing the recommended routine. Here are the sets and reps I did this morning:
L-sit PU (dead hang): 6, 5, 5
Dips: 3x10
Tuck Ice-cream makers: 3x5
PPPU - 3x5

I will be doing leg work and L-sit work tonight.

I just took a week off from training and was hoping to come back stronger, but these numbers are pretty much where I've been for several weeks. I started taking creatine (5g a day) two weeks ago -- maybe this will help.

Perhaps I need to eat more. I abhor accounting for all of my calories, but I will do so starting today. Also, at 41 years old, I worry that the extra calories are going to attach themselves to my waist.

A few years ago I did Starting Strength for a few months, and the same thing happened. I hit a plateau and was unable to make any more progress. I had a gym membership and the smallest increment of weight that I could add to the bar was five pounds -- I probably would have benefited from using smaller increments (and having a spotter).

Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Here are my goals:
- A bar muscle-up
- A free-standing pistol
- An L-sit
- To get stronger
- To achieve hypertrophy

@fanner570 Add another set or two or move to another method of progression.

Generally plateaus signal that you have hit the limit of whatever progression you were using and you need to switch it up. If going from 3x5 -> 3x6 -> 3x8 doesn't work then go to something like rep addition: 5-5-5, 6-5-5, 6-6-5, 6-6-6 or other things such as last set to failure where 5-5-5, 5-5-6, 5-5-7, 6-6-6, etc

@deborah123 Very good suggestion. I push myself close to failure as it is on a lot of these, particularly the tucked ice-cream makers and PPPU, as I'm somewhat gassed from going hard on the earlier pair.

@fanner570 I'd probably go with some variation of last set to failure. Only go up in reps when you can do 2 more reps on your last set than the current progression as in the example.

Also, make sure you're resting enough between sets

@fanner570 Can you send a video in of your form.
Maybe your overlooking doing the form correctly. This is hugely important in making progress.

Some of these exercises are tough and gonna take some time. For example Pseuso planche pushups are no joke. So many people dont do these right.

Looks like you could move up a progression with the dips.A vdeo would be good to see though.

@sam777c What do you recommend in terms of moving up a progression with dips? The recommended routine suggests that I should move on to the handstand push-up progression. Or maybe I should just purchase a set of rings. That's probably what I'll do.

@fanner570 /@deborah123's suggestions are all good. If they don't do the trick on their own, you may find that doing more sets than are recommended does the trick.

This isn't bodyweight, but I found that doing 10-20 sets of 1-2 reps with a heavy weight AFTER my 5x5 for squats was my key to getting stronger. Put 40 lbs on my 5RM in about 2 months. You can't do this to every exercise all at the same time, and I wouldn't jump into that much volume all at once but rather add 1 set every workout or every other workout.

I also would seriously consider holding off on that until you try what I'm going to mention next:

One thing I haven't seen asked yet is your nutritional status. If you aren't getting around 150g of protein per day, preferably split into 4-5 30-40g servings, I would start there. Without the protein, all the calories in the world won't be able to give you the results you need.

The exercise is sending all the right signals, but without raw materials there's not much your body can do. That means protein, and that means energy (calories). It is especially helpful to eat lots of food after your workouts, a nice meal every hour or two for a few hours. Usually 2-3 meals total. That allows you to pretty effectively restore glycogen to your muscles and also creates a strong anabolic environment.

I know you mentioned creatine, and that's a great supplement, but it can't make up for the basic lack of raw materials. On top of a decent diet, creatine can let you gain strength and muscle ~33% faster than you could with a perfect diet and no creatine, but the basics I mentioned really have to be there for that to happen.

@rfoobs Thanks for the detailed response! No, I'm definitely nowhere near hitting 150g of protein per day. That's an awful lot of protein. Do you suggest a supplement, and, if so, which one?

Back