Made a free app for myself, thought I’d share

kmidasaesthetic

Howdy all 👋. I’ve been a long time tracker, and have always used MyFitnessPal. Over time the monotony of having to click through too many pages to track a common food I eat, and adding it to a particular meal of the day (let’s be honest, i think most ppl care how much they ate for the day, as opposed to breaking it down to breakfast/lunch/dinner) became too much. Not to mention that so much of MyFitnessPal is a premium feature now.

I built this app to have a free barcode scanner, a simple single page layout to quickly track common foods, and AI generated search results to be on par with the search results you get from MyFitnessPal. It’s all free, and I just wanted to share. Bonus points if I get any feedback from you all (r/BLUEMacros) . Also, iOS only, sorry Android folks 💔

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/blüe/id6479948235

@kmidasaesthetic Are you using Chat GPT’s API for the generated search results? I can imagine with a large user base it might be tough to keep the app free because of that but it’s very impressive that you are publishing it free regardless. Thank you for sharing 💪

@jennipher Yes I am! A fellow developer I imagine 🫡

It’s not too bad, costs me about $0.005 per search, so even with a few thousand searches per day, it would only cost a buck or two at most, so free is sustainable for quite some time

@kmidasaesthetic Dope, I’ve been thinking of just building my own calorie/macro tracking app for a while now for the same reasons that you built this. I’ll be sure to check it out.

@kmidasaesthetic Looks great, I’ll have to check it out! Any plans of adding cost information in the future? It would be pretty neat to see how far my dollar goes in terms of calories/macros, and I haven’t found an app that does this (e.g. I put in the $/oz. price and it tells me how much I spent on that food).

@kmidasaesthetic Ooooh this is awesome! I’ve jsut downloaded it to try it - I’ve been using MyFitnessPal all this time but I do have my gripes with it.

Do you plan to also update some of the foods based on whether they’re already cooked or not?