Marathon training advice please!

@nonconformist88 I prepped for a half, running 10k's while in keto-carb cycling. I lost weight or maintained it during that time. You may want to have a look into this. Though I don't know if running a marathon the same way is at all possible.

I can't consume food while running and I need to stop eating at least a couple hours before a run as my stomach bothers me so much otherwise. So I simply don't have another option than running with an empty stomach. (If I drink too much water at once that also bothers me. )

I don't refuel differently after a 5k just stick to my regular diet, and a banana at the end of a 10k was sufficient for me to refuel.

I am 40 years old and I run slow. If you want to go for speed plus distance or if you have a different metabolism and if you are not willing to do a low carb diet at least most of the time, this may not work for you.

@nonconformist88 So when I train for marathons and ultras, I don’t count anything, but I do eat healthier. Healthy snacks, salads, lots of yoghurt and I inevitably lose weight. I constantly snack during training seasons. I can’t eat enough after spending 5-7 hours running nonstop.

@shyforhim Thank you for your perspective, it’s really helpful to hear. I can’t count on long run days, either, because I just eat so much! But I do find I get full quickly after a run and need frequent snacks instead of a big heavy meal.

Back