Half Marathon + Powerlifting Meet Write-Up

@mcooperiii It was really refreshing to read about your experiences, I don't think I've come across someone balancing powerlifting and endurance running in this way.

What was the hardest part of training for both together (compared to your previous experiences of training for just powerlifting)? Was there anything you had to change with respect to recovery and/or nutrition?

@unicorns26 The most difficult part of balancing both was figuring out when to run in terms of my lifting program. Do I run on my rest days? Upper body days? Lower body days? Before lifting? After lifting? Within hours of my lifting session or in the evening? (I lift in the mornings.) I know some of the science says that resistance training should occur prior to cardiovascular. But I found that to really impacted my desire to run and my running pace. I tried running in the evenings but that isn’t when my running club goes, and I’m a huge homebody in the evenings. So I tried running in the mornings prior to lifting and found it didn’t impact my powerlifting training much. But through trial and error, I realized I prefer running either the same day as leg day or two days after leg day. The reason for this is my legs are fatigued the day after training squats/deadlifts, and it impacts my running pace and distance.

@mcooperiii That makes total sense, thanks for sharing! Oddly enough, I've found that running the same day or two days after a lower body lifting session is tough for me, but running the next day works well (before the soreness really sets in). I still find that I need to change my area of focus from time to time, because while I can maintain lifting/climbing and running, I have a hard time progressing on more than one thing at any given time.