Halfway Through My Marathon Training Plan

@rasheid Where are your favorite places to run in Seattle? I’m definitely not at marathon level or even close, but I noticed I run the same route(s) pretty much every time and it’s really affecting my runs. I have trouble pushing further since my body “knows” how far I’ve gone.

@treythan123 Here are my favorite routes! For the most part these have dedicated running paths/side walks, are free of interruptions (intersection, bridges, stairs, etc.), are flat, can be easily adjusted for length & have gorgeous views:
  1. Burke Gillman Trail - I start near Magnuson Park & run north. It's shaded the whole time with views of lakefront houses and Lake Washington.
  2. Lake Washington Boulevard - There is a long stretch from Leschi (I start here) to Seward Park. This one has the most gorgeous views of Lake Washington, the east side, and (again) fancy lakefront houses.
  3. Myrtle Edwards Park - I start at the top of the sculpture park and run towards Magnolia. You'll have amazing views of Elliot bay, the Olympic Mountains, giant ships, Ranier, Downtown & seals playing in the water! I highly recommend going here in the morning, as it's super crowded in the evenings.
  4. West Seattle - I start around Lincoln Park and run up to Salty's. Super beautiful views of downtown and Elliot bay!

@rasheid Omg thank you so much for the detailed info plus links!! I already run on the Burke quite a bit, but not up by Magnuson. Good luck with your marathon training!

@rasheid Very cool! I did my first marathon last year and the mental prep should definitely not be neglected. There’s also the firstmarathons sub, if you’re interested. It’s fairly quiet, but might be a good place to lurk.

Good luck with everything! I hope the training is a good experience.

@twinmama I really appreciate all the enthusiastic reviews of Hal’s programs that I’m seeing here! I recently finished Ct5k, then ramped up to running 8km/5 on my own - not fast or pretty but I got there, and decided to try an official 10k plan. Hal’s Novice 1 10k has me doing base runs at .70 miles and “long” runs at 1.7 for the first two weeks and it just seems so...meh. But I guess I need to trust the process and go with it even though I can run longer? Or maybe I need to recalibrate my settings and goal in the app.

@foreverroyal87 his programs do start light, that is probably my only "complaint". You can always add on a half mile or mile to the first few weeks of running if you're comfortable with those distances!

@foreverroyal87 I just finished Hal’s novice 10k program and those distances don’t sound familiar. I started off with 2.5 miles and long runs started at 3 miles. I didn’t use the app (just the website) so that could be the difference.

@rasheid This is the program I used for my first (only) marathon, did it last year. I was really only spot-on with the long runs. The rest of the week I may have done one or two 3 mile runs, and a day of strength training, up until the end, honestly. It was a great experience with no injury. I'm glad you're also having a good experience, OP!

@rasheid Awesome! You’re kicking some serious butt! I loved Hal Higdon’s half marathon plan but don’t have time to train for a full right now (taking the MCAT late next month).. this motivated me to get back to training for a full immediately after my exam! Best of luck and fortitude for your next half of your journey!

@rasheid Oh sweet thank you for sharing! I'm a novice to running, currently doing C25K, but would love to work up to marathon length so I could go with my partner when he runs his next marathon. I do a lot of yoga and calisthenics currently with my running, but have had some difficulty figuring out when to do what and for how long. This is very helpful! Thank you for sharing!

@rasheid Hell yeah! I found marathon training really unlocked the secret to perspective when it comes to what I perceive as possible. When I was training for half marathons I’d always finish a half just totally blown out and thinking how impossible a full marathon would be. Of course it’s impossible, Id feel like I’m drowning on dry land after a half which is, well, half a full lol.

But then those long runs really get up there. I also used that plan for my last full and I remember at one point my husband asking me what I was running that day and I said something like “oh it’s not too bad - 15 miles” and he looked at me like I had 3 heads but it WASN’T that bad because it was a scale back week and I’d ran 16 or whatever it was the week before. That slow acclimation upwards is what made it mentally possible.

I came away from training realizing what I perceive to be impossible is often a matter if perspective and that those goal posts can be moved if I just keep pushing.

I’m so exited for you! Keep pushing! And remember: the marathon is the reward for the hard work of training. It’s the fun part!

@dawn16 Thank you! This is so great! Honestly writing this post helped me realize how far those goal posts have moved for me over the past 9 weeks!

@rasheid Another thing I'd note for you is pay attention to when you need to replace your shoes. Marathon training puts some serious mileage on your shoes and even if you started with fresh ones at the start might want to consider if they're in good enough shape for when you do your marathon itself. And you don't want to be breaking in new shoes day of the race so getting new shoes, using them in the shorter runs, and having them primed for a few long runs before the race can be super helpful.

@rasheid I wish this post had been made about 2 weeks ago! I've also decided to train for a marathon but really had to start at ground zero around April. I'm building up the number of days I run before starting an actual program. But I haven't been the best about the stretching and definitely the worst about strength training and hello new injury this week. Once I'm feeling better, I'm super excited to try out the videos you've linked!

Good luck and I hope you continue to have fun and be injury-free with your training!!