Minimum and the best number of sets for muscle mass - Based on science

latestnews

Hello guys.

This sub is one of the first places where I started my journey with workouts in general. People here were very helpful, I've learnt a lot from them. I wanna say thank you and now it's my turn to share with you my experience. I've learnt a lot since then, read a lot of researches, because that's the main source that I'm learning from.

I'd like to start a series of posts about... everything related with muscle and strength building etc. Everything is based on science literature.

I leave a link to my instagram at the end of the post. You can find there this post with pics. I'll be grateful if you give me a like, follow and share it with friends :) I hope that I won't be banned because of that.

TL;DR + summary at the end :)

More sets = better?​

Minimum and the best number of sets for noticeable results

Do more sets will always mean better results? Is there a maximum number of sets per workout/week? How to choose the right number of sets if our goal is muscle growth?

Many people find it difficult to choose the right number of sets. It used to be difficult for me as well. First let's find out what factors affect the number of sets.

Factors affecting the number of sets​

*This is a bit simplified and assumes that the rest of things remain the same and the only variable is the issue being described.

1.Number of workouts per week. Example: we've got 3 workouts per week, on each of them we do 4 sets of push ups (12 sets of push ups per week in total). Suddenly something happened in our life and now we have time for only 2 workouts. If we expect the same results as before we should increase the number of sets per workout to 6 so we still have 12 sets in total per week.

2.Reps in reserve (RIR). In general it's not the best idea to do each set to failure. Someone who does this, e.g. in each set does as much push ups as he/she can will not be able to (and probably shouldn't) as many sets as someone who keeps a rep or two (or more) in reserve ("tank").

3.Recovery. Someone who sleeps well and enough, who don't stress as much in general in life will be able to recover better from harder workout.

4.Energy availability. The more calories we eat, the more we can do.

5.Training experience. Someone who is just starting their adventure with resistance training doesn't regenerate as well as someone who has several years of experience.

6.Drugs usage. External "boosters" allow us to do more and harder workouts in general.

So what is the minimum number of sets we should do for muscle growth?

Minimum number of sets​

Let's start with the minimum number of sets that's necessary for muscle growth. We've got a few papers here, e.g. D. B. Starkey et al., 1996; Bent R. Rønnestad et al., 2007; M. Bottaro et al., 2010; Heiki Sooneste et al., 2013. They show us that even 1 set to failure per workout performed 2-3 times per week is enough to notice muscle growth in untrained people. Karl J. Ostrowski et al., 1997 shows us that 2-3 sets to failure per week is enough even for experienced people.

This is also confirmed by this meta-analysis (a research that analyzes more researches). Here's what we can read in summary: performing 1 set to or close to failure, 6-12 rep range, 2-3 times per week is enough to make significant progres in muscle mass growth and strength (1RM).

In this interesting study one group did 3 sets of knee extension and 1 set of bicep curls, the 2nd group vice versa. 8-12 rep range, 2 times per week. There was a significant growth of bicep brachii in both groups, but not in rectus femoris. It can be caused by the reason that we use the rectus femoris muscle much more in our daily life than bicep and it's already not that easy to grow that muscle. Or some muscle groups need more volume than the others? We don't know yet, but more likely it's beacuse the first reason.

It seems that for both unexperienced and experienced people 2-3 sets to failure per muscle group per week for significant muscle growth. But to be 100% sure I'd suggest to do twice as much if you're already experienced in resistance training.

If training is not a priority for someone and doesn't care about maximizing results, even such a short workotu will be MUCH better than doing nothing.We can use this fact e.g. if we are on holiday or if we don't have enough time to do a full workout.

Optimal number of sets​

What's the best number of sets which result in the best muscle growth and strength? Where's the upper limit above which we will not notice any greater gains? Or maybe more always = better?

F. Damas, 2019 shows us that doing 12 sets results in only slightly more MPS increase (the most important process in muscle building, like adding another bricks to the wall which are our muscles) than doing 8 sets per muscle group per workout to failure and that difference in MPS increase was probably caused by more muscle damage in 12 sets group (bricks had to be used for repairing the wall rather than building bigger wall).Conclusion: the upper limit of number of sets per workout per muscle group is somewhere between 8 and 12.

K. J. Ostrowski, 1997 were 3 groups: 1st was doing 7 sets for tricep, 2nd 14 sets, 3rd 28 sets divided into 2 training sessions per week. Growth of triceps for each group:Group 1, 7 sets: 2,3%Group 2, 14 sets: 4,7%Group 3, 28 sets, 4,8%

We can see that the difference between group 2 and 3 was very little, almost unnoticeable.Conclusion: the upper limit of number of sets per workout per muscle group is somewhere between 7 and 14 sets (similar to the above research)

B. J. Schoenfeld, 2016 meta-analysis summarized 15 studies comparing 1-4 vs. 5-9 vs. 10+ sets per muscle group per week. Muscle growth in 10+ sets was almost twice as large as in 1-4 sets. It is worth mentioning that the increase in 1-4 sets - although smaller - was still at a really good level. Generally speaking, 10-20 sets per week per muscle group is the best choice. If you do below 10 and the progres is a bit slow, then you should consider increasing the number of sets. On the other side, if you do more than 20 sets and you've reached plateau or the progres is slower and slower, you should consider decreasing the number of sets.

S. R. Heaselgrave, 2019, 3 groups: 9 sets, 18 sets and 27 sets for bicep per week. The greatest increase in muscle mass were in 18 sets group, even though the difference between all groups wasn't that big.

We should keep in mind a few things:

1.10-20 sets/week is an average value. There were single people in the study who responded better to a lower or higher number of series.

2.All sets were taken to or close to failure, 6-12 rep range.

3.Both too small and to many sets are not optimal for building muscle mass. It's worth remembering and start looking in that 10-20 set range per muscle group.

4.More is not always better! If the upper limit of sets is 20 it doesn't mean that we always should do 20 sets per week per each muscle group. Our body will quickly say "enough" and we'll not see any further progress. Muscles don't grow during our workouts, but afterwards. It's our body's response to the stimulus of workout that results in an increase in muscle mass. That's why must find a happy medium between a hard workouts and recovery.

5.The more advanced we are, the more sets we need. Closer and more frequently in 15-20 sets range per week than 10-15 (14 actually :D)

TL;DR | Summary​

There's no one the best number of sets. It's very individual. This post is only a general guidline.

Minimum number of sets for muscle growth: 2-3 for beginners, 3-6 for advanced, per week per muscle group, to failure.

Optimum number of sets for muscle growth per workout: 5-10 per muscle group, to or close to failure

Optimum number of sets for muscle growth per week: 10-20 per muscle group, to or close to failure

No progress and you do 5-8 sets per muscle group per week to or close to failure? Increase number of sets

No progress and you do 20-25 sets per muscle group per week to or close to failure? Decrease number of sets

More does not always = better!

So that's it for this post. I hope you like it. Share with me your opinion in the comments. If you've got any questions, go ahead, I'll try to help :)

Here's the link to my IG, this post with pics, long version: Instagram post, long version

Short version: Instagram post, short version

@latestnews So hypothetically if someone was doing 4 sets of rows and chin ups and 3 sets of curls 2 times a week for their biceps (28 sets per week) and not seeing much progress, it would be beneficial to cut back on the number of sets per week?

@marco888 That may be the case. I'd do 1 week deload and start the next block with decreased number of sets. To be sure there's only one way - try to do that and check. There won't be regress for sure.

Keep in mind that in most studies they do sets to failure or very close to failure. If you keep more reps in reserve you can do more sets. But 28 is still a lot.

@marco888 Lmao I do 36 sets for chest per week, maybe I should cut it back a little bit xD
I do 3 sets of bulgarian ring dips, 3 sets of regular ring dips, 6 sets of bulgarian ring push ups, 3 sets of ring flys and 3 sets of resistance band work in one workout. Then I also do pike push ups for my shoulders and tricep extensions.

@dawn16 Oh man, that's a lot work for chest :D If you see progress, don't give a fuck what science says, haha :D But if you don't or soon it'll stop, you know what to do first :)

@latestnews I think I'm gonna throw out the resistance band exercise because I hate it anyways and reduce the number of dips/push ups sets.
The pump is crazy but I'm not developing as fast as I'd like to.

@dawn16 IMO if you're getting more reps, more intensity and your form is getting better you shouldn't try to change too much. Progression is the hardest thing to do, and if you're progressing you're definately getting bigger and stronger. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Also important to eat good clean protein sources! I’m still working on my diet sources but skipping breakfast and having tea or coffee in the morning only and big lunch (mostly protein) and big dinner (mostly protein also) and no more food after 8pm. I am cutting fat by the week and my family even noticing the slimness. Please make sure you eat good and clean most of the week :)

@dawn16 Thats an absurd amount of volume. How the hell did you come to the conclusion that you needed that much? You're way overtraining if you're still doing that amount. Professional bodybuilders on steroids are doing 20 sets per week. Try cutting down to 10-15 sets as the literature suggests and you'll have way better results.

@dawn16 The intensity of your sets must be insanely low to do so many sets each workout, going close/to failure every set will atleast halve your set count.

@latestnews Love the work that went into this post;

But few caveats and curiosity.

A key thing that I got over the years was TUT - Time under Tension.

And avoiding working to failure so that Post work recovery is better and that leads to better performance and consistent work in every workout.

By not taxing it to failure the stimulus is well enough and positive instead of taxing and hampering.

Again, this was an interesting take by several leading names/ experts that was counter to the work to failure school.

I’m not pro or anti one or another.

So wondering and asking if you’d got into any of that and how if at all can these be applied / balanced with what you’ve learned & experiences so far.

@kam4031 TUT has largely been debunked recently.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25601394/

It still works for most people because it brute forces proper muscle stimulus and generally keeps folk honest when performing their lifts, but from an empirical perspective it doesn't offer you any additional advantage over say, completing each rep in an explosive but controlled manner.

@latestnews I am an individual who has very little time due to my busy schedule: two babies with wife, two jobs, and a mortgage to pay off in 3 yrs. I didn’t start working out until covid started especially I have to deal with covid pts everyday. You may disagree with me, but this is the biggest I ever got especially on my biceps, triceps, back, calves, and etc. I lift bodyweight and weights until failure with 3 sets with 15 deep breaths rest depending on the day I want to work out on. After each type of exercise, I rest for a minute. Again, I do not have time to spend working out for hrs and I definitely hate it if I do. I reluctantly accept 2 hrs and I try to hit every head of each muscle group. I have to honestly say legs exercises kick my ass literally the most. The most important thing I learned, in which I knew earlier in my life is to lift slow in perfect form not as much as how many reps you can do but how many reps you can do in perfect form in slow motion until you just can’t.

@zachmo Man, you should be proud of yourself, really. That's amazing that you do that.

Keep in mind that you can progress with going to failure, short rest etc. Is it the best way to do that? Our current knowledge say something different. Just because you're progressing now doesn't mean you'll do that forever. You won't. When the progres will stop? Maybe after a month, two, six, year... We don't know. Then you have to ask yourself "what I do wrong? What can I do better?". Then, return to this post :D I didn't say that going to failure and short rest will stop your progress. I've just said that it's not the best way to workout.

If you just want to look better, do what you do.

@zachmo i am late but what you are doing is amazing, i feel your pain man considering I am also very busy with real life obligations, working out is pain, not as much as you though, no baby problems yet haha.