Minimum and the best number of sets for muscle mass - Based on science

@nicolac That's a great queston.

Let me explain something beyond your topic. If you don't want to read this sh*t, just scroll down 'till you find bolded HERE :D

You see... to make such posts/infographics on Insta where you don't want to (and can't) write a whole book + you want it to be understandable for most people, not only physio PHD etc. you gotta make things simpler. To make it some things you write are not entirely true OR you don't write the whole true because it'd be too long, boring and 99% would stop reading this. It's like in the school. You go to the primary school, they teach you something. Then you go high school and they tell you that those things they taught in the primary weren't entirely true and they start to explain you those things in more details. Then you go to college and they tell you, that all you've taught is not entirely true and they teach you most detailed things on the topic you've chosen. BUT you wouldn't understand those things in college without the things they've taught you in the high and primary school. Same thing with such posts. You read this, then if you are more interested you read scientific papers etc.

Do I want to tell that this and similar posts are worthless bullsh*t? No. Because they are much more true (I hope) than 99% things on the internet and the simplified, partially false part, is still much better and closer to the truth than most things on the internet. For example. In that post I've said that 10-20 sets are best. BUT there're situations where you can do 25-30 sets and still be fine.

HERE

Push/pull is more accurate, but still not the best. Let's take push ups as an example. It's push exercise. So as dips and overhead press. But these exercises emphasize different muscle groups. Push ups are more likely to tire your chest than overhead press. Since we're in the bodyweight sub, let's add pseudo planche push ups to this group. It'll hit these muscle groups - even though working muscle groups are the same in all these exercises - totally different. So even if all these exercises are push exercises, you shouldn't count them the same. Pseudo planche push ups and OHP is more for front delts than push ups etc.

It's still not the most accurate method to count the working sets but hey, does it have to be? ;) When I create workout plans for me or for my clients, I guesstimate (is it even a word? not native here :D) sets' numbers. They are somewhere in the 10-20 range, but I'm not that accurate.

The more experience I've got and got more knowledge on that topic (some time have passed since the post), the more I believe that the most important thing to make progress, is to train hard. Since 3-4 months most of my sets (if not all) are taken to 0-1 RIR. And you know what? In that 3-4 months I've made HUGE progres in front lever. Much better progress than in my last 1.5-2 years of training, when I've trained like pus*y because I've listened to some guys and read some papers that told me that 3-4 RIR is the best and failure is worthless. I've got my own thoughts on the failure topic, but it's a VERY long topic. In short, imo most papers (like 99%, really if not all) on that topic are worthless.

I'm not saying that you should do all your sets to failure. It depends on a lot of things. But I'm saying that failuire (0-1 RIR) is not that bad as most people try to tell us now.

Lyle McDonald and Geoffrey Verity Schoefield have some nice videos on that topic.

@latestnews legs
3x ass to grass squats
2x straight legs deadlifts

push
3x back to wall handstand push ups
2x assisted(band on waist) planche push ups

pull
3x one arm pull ups per hand
2x assisted(band on waist) front lever rows

legs
3x straight leg deadlifts
2x atg squats