Mixing classes (I.e Orangetheory, boxing, spinning) with lifting?

maria37

This might seem silly but it always seems like people fall into one of two categories; they prefer HIIT type classes or lifting.

Last year I lost a hundred pounds and was doing an upper/lower split 4x a week and running 2-3x. It worked well then, but around November my personal life went into turmoil and I took a loooong break, gaining back a significant amount of weight. My diet is mostly back under control, but the idea of lifting like that and doing that much LISS cardio sounds miserable.

I was always against group fitness for some reason but I tried a boxing class this morning and loved it even though I'm really bad at it and could barely keep up/had to modify some stuff. I'm trying a spinning class tomorrow and am going to check out OTF next week. That being said, I miss the way my body looked when I was lifting. I'm considering doing 3 different classes/week, 3 lifting days (2 lower, 1 upper because I build upper body way too easily for my aesthetic goals), and one day for rest or LISS cardio.

Does anyone else have a routine similar to this? Maybe I'm mistaken about the divide between the two types of fitness. Just looking for stories/experiences I guess!

@maria37 Hi! My schedule is almost exactly this! :) And I have been having great results. Like you, I am at my happy weight, looking to shed some fat and look more toned.

I love a group class atmosphere and have been going to OTF for a few years now. I come from a Crossfit background, but started to gravitate away from the sport and found OTF. I love the cardio aspect of OTF and I like that it is less invasive on your body than CF. However, what I don't love about it is the lack of strength / weights and my body shifted to a "fattier" version of itself (I was the same weight the whole time). I was going to OTF 5x week and I was more and more dissatisfied with the lack of tone.

I decided that I needed to add in some additional strength training (this was in March 2019), so I joined at a super cheap gym for $10/month. I decided that 3x week, I would go lift weights for 30 min BEFORE OTF. I did this for about a month before I realized that this was just way too much for me.

In April, I took a step back and decided to get my shit together. I went for a DEXA scan to see exactly where I was for body fat and completely revamped my schedule. All signs pointed to increasing weight lifting and reducing OTF. So now I do:

M: Lower body

T: OTF

W: Upper body

R: OTF

F: Lower body

S: OTF

S: Rest

I am finishing my 6th week and I have seen definite improvements in my physique. My weight is popping around the same pound. I was 134 when I started, I jumped to 135 and held steady there for 3 weeks and last week dropped to 134.4. But I am definitely recomping my body because I am visibly less flabby.

Right now, I don't do any LISS except for a few minutes of warm up before a lifting session and maybe 5-10 minutes after if I finished my session early or aren't in any rush to leave the gym. However, I am starting to be more mindful of my steps and am actively trying to hit 10,000 / day. I work at a desk and I consciously get up and take walks in an effort to be more mobile during the day.

For my lifting, I am following a modified version of Thinner, Leaner, Stronger.

I hope this helps!

@maria37 I have been doing OTF for a year (a year today, actually) and I cancelled my membership a month ago. I didn't have much weight to lose without losing muscle, so it didn't do too much for me other than increase my speed and endurance. Since I cancelled, I've basically stopped going and lost 5 pounds in the first week just from weight lifting and walking my dog twice a day without doing OTF (I'm chalking it up to allowing my muscles to finally repair themselves). It's an amazing group class, and the coaches and other members became my second family, but, like you, I missed weightlifting. I can go more into detail about it if you want, but basically OTF is a huge stress reliever aside from the multiple injuries and expensive ticket.

@maria37 I also used to be against group fitness, but then I realized it's nice to not have to think about programming, and just show up and do work. Great little break for the brain.

My body looks and feels best when I do more functional/HIIT style classes combined with a bit of endurance cardio. Specifically I take classes that combine strength training with a dedicated conditioning component (think cross fit without barbells), and am mindful of incorporating progressive overload during the strength portion. My current routine is 3 HIIT classes, 2 endurance classes (spin/dance), 3-4 LISS sessions, yoga, and 1 dedicated strength session. This is over the course of the week and I usually do a class in the AM, LISS every other night, and double up on Sat when i have more time. Your plan is defintely doable

@maria37 I started working out primarily through group fitness classes (Bodystep, Bodypump, HIIT/circuit classes) and running. now I lift heavy during the week and do cardio on the weekends. I normally do four days of lifting during the week (three day split plus a full body accessory day) and will either do Bodyattack or Bodystep or both on the weekend.

I think it’s totally possible to balance different types of workouts throughout the week - I find my split works for me cause I lift in the morning before work when I feel awake and refreshed but then I do cardio on the weekend when I can get more of a sleep in before running and jumping around.

@maria37 I lift four days a week and cycle for various lengths of time at different intensities (sprints vs intervals vs climbs vs endurace-based rides) 6x a week, and have been for the better part of the last year. Your plan is definitely doable!

@sandis Thank you! I don't really feel like I've achieved it because I've gained like 40 back (I know, I know) but I'm trying not to dwell on it and to remember how good I felt back then. I wanna finally get to maintenance so I can eat more and see some real gainz.

@maria37 GIRL! YOU STILL LOST 100LBS! I don't even want to hear it. Keep pushing my lady. The great thing about lifting is you can usually recover some of your lost gains pretty quickly after taking a reasonable amount of time off from the gym. And you clearly have the right mindset and dedication to get this shit done since you did it once before. You're going to be fabulous!

i'm not familiar with orange theory and such so my advice is going to be a lot more generalized.

typically speaking you can def workout twice a day and reap the benefits of it. however, it's generally recommend you avoid doing two strength training sessions in a day - unless you are a bodybuilder. too much stress on the body and not conductive to a well balanced lifestyle. that aside if you want to do cardio/hiit and lifting on the same day this is something you can do. i think it's suggested to have a 6-8 hour gap between the sessions to allow for hormone levels to start balancing out because you don't want to trigger cortisol and mess up with your progress. i would suggest timing your workouts accordingly and this will help with the exhaustion too that i know you will feel when you start working out this intensely. it can be very taxing on the body.

i used to lift in the AM and do LISS in PM when i was very stressed out during exam season. tech the LISS was very low maintenance and not taxing on my body at all since all i was doing was walking on the treadmill, but when you are eating at a deficit, high daily step count, and weight lifting, your body will take a toll. i lost a lot of weight too just to clarify, but I was a bit burnt out after my exam adrenaline calmed down. I did notice a slight issue with my menstrual cycle - excessive exercising can cause issues with your period and i'd noticed i didn't have a consistent flow but it may have been my exam stress specifically - and more hair loss than usual which is another common side effect. i didn't have much of an appetite, was very clear minded most of the time, more sleepy than usual, and i had a lot of muscle aches because i was not stretching regularly. so stretch. take your stretching sessions seriously! otherwise nothing else comes to mind.

i would not advise doing it for more than 2 weeks - might be able to push it to 1 month as it will very exhausting if you are working out at a high intensity regularly. really listen to your body.

also bear in mind that after 60 mins of LISS cardio your cortisol levels start to rise and cause muscle breakdown on a normal day, and then you pair that with weight training on the same day - it can def be a lot so keep an eye on the length of your sessions. i would keep your lower body lifting session closer to the 1 hour mark too if possible - it might be a little more since you are changing out plates and stuff but hopefully not too bad as I know my own lower body sessions can sometimes go on for 1.5hrs to 2hrs if i'm very stressed. upper body days are not going to be much of a problem for you at all as they don't burn nearly as many calories and it's 1x week, so kinda negligible imo.

for your interests specifically:
  • boxing can be taxing - lots of hitting and jump roping. great cardio workout though. you might be able to pair this day nicely with weigh lifting.
  • spinning i remembered was very intense - i think the freaking bike was trying to kill me and my womanly bits lol but don't forget - for spinning this is heavy work on the legs. you are going to need to ensure this doesn't fall on leg recovery day. might pair nicely with upper body days.
  • typically both these training styles are usually delivered in a HIIT format though so the intensity will be up there so should help conserve muscle mass.
  • orange theory sounds like a mix between moderate weights and cardio, but idk if i would do it in conjunction with weight lifting as it might be too much. i do vaguely recall a decent bit of upper body work so maybe keep that in mind to ensure it doesn't fall on upper body recovery days. you could always do a HIIT workout or another leg day instead of orange theory if you prefer.
Thus:
  • watch your exhaustion levels - make sure you are stretching and your recovery is on point.
  • make sure you are eating enough to support this training regime.
  • pair cardio activities with weight training.
With all that being said, one caveat is the weight loss. I understand you want to lose the weight, but if your sole goal is to do these activities in order to further your weight loss, it might or might not work. the body is tricky and it's very smart. it learns to adapt to a lot of stuff. if you push yourself in the long run you prob will see weight loss - very true. but the chances of you gaining the weight back is unfortunately is very high and you might find yourself burnt out from all the activities.

ultimately i really enjoyed working out twice a day for my mental health overall, but i would recommend but not for the weight loss benefits.

PS in case i misunderstood your post if you are not planning on workout twice a day i'm so sorry for the length of this post. LOL by the time i went back and reread it i had already written a story book so i figured someone might as well benefit from it LOL. but yes, if you are spreading them out over the week you are fine. do whatever activity makes you happy :)

@sandis I didn't mean working out twice a day. I don't have time for that, it would all be on separate days.

The working out isn't for weight loss. As my post said, I lost 100lbs already which got me to my goal weight. I stopped working out and ate like shit for 6 months causing me to gain a significant amount back. I know how to lose weight. The exercise is for cardiovascular health and aesthetic reasons. I'm only asking how these types of workouts can complement each other because I've never done them combined.

@maria37 I'm so sorry for the confusion - I didn't realize until after I had written all that out that that might not have been what you meant. LOL Then I figured maybe another poster might stumble upon it and benefit from it LOL

But yes back to your main question, absolutely. They will complement your training beautifully - boxing especially! The only one that I could see being an issue is possibly spinning. That one might impede on leg day so as long as you avoid that I think you should be solid. Orange theory just depends on how they run the session so I can't say.

That aside I'm so glad to read such an uplifting comment - "I lost 100lbs already which got me to my goal weight. I stopped working out and ate like shit for 6 months causing me to gain a significant amount back. I know how to lose weight." A lot of people really struggle with this part, and it's great to hear that you are in a good place with your fitness goals.

Rooting for you and wishing you the best!

@maria37 I started my fitness journey with lifting and after a long hiatus I shifted to OrangeTheory. I'm competitive by nature so OrangeTheory was a perfect fit for me and I still marvel at the things I can do.

I've been doing OrangeTheory for about a year and now I'm adding heavy lifting back in. The reason I'm lifting is primarily for aesthetic reasons with a little "I wanna bench my body weight" thrown in. For me, the sweet spot is 3 days at OTF and 3 days lifting (sometimes same day). I also add walking (LISS) and yoga at least once a week.

@dawn16 I’m in a similar boat. I’ve been doing OTF a little over a year and just joined a CrossFit gym to get familiar with barbell work. I saw a ton of cardiovascular improvement at OTF but I was scared to lift heavy as the classes are so big and depending on coach they aren’t great about form correction. I’d never touched any free weights until OTF and I fell in love. Currently I do OTF 4-5x/week and CF 2x/week. Sometimes on the same day, that is a bad idea and I don’t recommend it, it’s just what my schedule allows.

What kicks my butt is the unpredictable nature of OTF. I LOVE it. But it does mean that if you combine it with something else you may end up with back to back days of the same muscle group. Do as I say not as I do, stretch!

Came back to add; talk to your coaches at OTF. I never have, and honestly regret it. A friend of mine who joined after hearing me sing their praises formed relationships and they’ve given really good advice. They may have insight about how to best work a split.

@maria37 Chiming in with seconding r/orangetheory as a helpful resource.

I have been going to OTF for almost 2 years now. I do distance running and OTF, with some random sports thrown in a few days a week. I don’t lift, so I can’t speak to that. Balancing all my workout plans is very challenging, so I wish you the best of luck!

@maria37 Of course! If you decide on OrangeTheory, the Reddit page was really helpful when I was getting started. Best of luck on this next part of your journey!

@dawn16 Fairly similar to /@kimee55, I started with random group fitness classes here and there, switched to just lifting, burnt out on that, switched to orangetheory and am now adding back more lifting for strength and anesthetics.

I'm currently doing 2 days of lifting plus 2 days of OTF, and switching to 3 days lifting, 1 day of OTF (because competition and variety), and 2 days of c25k as the weather improves.

You've already shown you can do the hard thing of consistency in pursuing your goals (100 lb!!), and I think adding in some more novelty and variety will help keep you engaged in the process (and also give more areas for motivating progress!)

@vhialemon I definitely think boredom contributed to my break so I'm hoping all this variety will keep me engaged and excited. Not to to mention I won't have to deal with gym bros as often which was a big deterrent towards the end.

Back