MOD ANNOUNCEMENT: DEBBIE DOWNERS

curtswill

Hi 30+ers,

r/fitness30plus is a subreddit dedicated to celebrate and promote fitness. We don’t see this as a place to police human movement or to instill your fears into others.

Recently there has been a wave of overly critical post replies. Discussions arising from these comments almost always result in bans and bitterness, and will from now on not be allowed. We are implementing a Debbie Downers rule against comments that are dismissive or overly negative about others’ accomplishments, goals, or methods. This includes gems like:
  • “You are going to mess your back doing this”
  • “Have fun using your knees when you are older”
  • “This exercise is pointless”
  • “You looked better in the before picture”
If you often feel the need to comment something along those lines, you might need to question your involvement with our subreddit. This is a supportive community. If your only response from seeing a heavy deadlift is fear and criticism, this might not be the best place for you. We do not question your good intentions, and we do appreciate your concern, but from now on please remember the rules before commenting.

P.D: we recently updated our rules section to make it more accessible. We encourage everyone to check it out. In short, this sub does not like spamming (selfies without context, sneaky self promotion…), medical advice, pointless debates (steroids, arch, sumo…), and general uncivil behavior. Almost everything else is welcome and we encourage everyone (including you!) to post their own content, regardless of experience level.

@ijonz I've been better about it over the prior 6 months or so. I kicked my ego to the curb and lowered my weight significantly to focus on form.

I also started doing more front squats on alternating weeks from back squats which seems to be helping balance out my leg strength.

I also noticed that I was placing my weight on the outside of my feet, so while focusing on form I also very intentionally tried to press down on the ground with the insides of my feet in hope that it'll eventually evenly distribute the force across my entire foot.

One thing about being critical of myself is that I spend a lot of time trying to correct my faults!

@abbagirl Leaving shitty meaningless comments like “good luck with your joint health” is very different than “when you do X, you’re overloading your knees. Try Y for a minor adjustment that helps”.

Back