MOD ANNOUNCEMENT: DEBBIE DOWNERS

@an8id
For example "you seem to be arching your back when you deadlift..."

The larger problem here is things often "seem" a certain way to some people, when they're not actually that way. You notwithstanding, many others still feel obligated or compelled to shout out baseless advice based on how things seem to them. Which is often erroneous and mis-perceived.

@mlenadc Firstly, I don't know why you felt the need to interject at all. My question was obviously directed at the OP/Mods for clarification. My comment was not an admission that I give advice of any sort on this sub. Hence my final sentence that you seemingly didn't read.

Also, it's not very charitable of you to take what I said and literally change it to fit whatever narrative you're trying to construct. I specifically chose the word "arching" as apposed to "rounding". As in a cat arching its back. Surly we can agree that kind of posture would be ridiculous for trying to lift anything heavy; which is why I chose the word in the first place. If you've seen people mistake "rounding" for "arching" before, that's fine, but don't project that experience onto me and make dumb assumptions.

I got what I needed from the mod reply, which is what I was looking for int he first place. Later.

@an8id The issue is that concerned people far outweigh those with experience and knowledge. We cannot let someone who doesn’t squat tell someone else how to squat. It is actually dangerous. It is the same reason we don’t allow medical advice.

Besides, no one is going to change their routine because of a comment online

@lelier Please create a detailed report and we will analyze.

We don’t love people spamming their every workout, but at the same time we try to give everyone a free platform to express themselves.

@curtswill I love this post. ❤️❤️

Mostly because I just left a subreddit that was full of shitty attitude, not just from some of the users but also from the mods where if you brought it to a mod’s notice, they’d bully you and use abusive language. 🙄

So good to see a good attitude here. ❤️ Fitness communities or any other communities for that matter absolutely need to be supportive.

@curtswill Much needed, good job nazi mods!

Edit: I meant this sincerely lol. Except for the Nazi part obviously, that was supposed to be a facetious insult of endearment.

@curtswill I am in favor of keeping the tone positive, but, "You are going to mess your back doing this" can be a constructive tip if someone is using bad form. Speaking as someone who has suffered injuries from bad form.

@123anna You know what’s funny about this? I have seen more people have real, hard injuries climbing, playing football or even running just the past three years than in my whole life at the gym.

People have a fundamentally skewed perception of what causes injury. Nobody thinks they’ll trip on a branch running and twist their ankle, or that they’ll fall outside the mattress and tear all their knee ligaments, but they will.

@curtswill It blows my mind how many people are terrified by a barbell, but don't think twice about an intense game of pickup basketball. I have had countless, serious injuries skiing, surfing, playing football and basketball growing up, and doing manual labor. I've had ligaments reattached surgically and numerous bones broken among other, less serious maladies. In almost a decade of lifting, much of which was spent doing very dumb things, I have had only one relatively serious injury, and I'm pretty sure that one happened because I was drinking too much to properly recover from my training.

Back