More reps with lower weight, or less reps with higher weight?

ladyblue1

In todays WOD I did the "RX" (prescribed) weight for Power Snatch and Overhead Squats. I did it slower than others, but completed. The coach says I should do less weight and more reps.

I would say my form would be rated a C. I certainly want to better my form, but I also like throwing weight around. My goal is to build muscle mass rather than endurance.

Any who, age old question. Less with more, or more with less?

@ladyblue1 Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. You admit your form needs work, and your coach gave you clear instructions. Why would you not listen? Why are you asking strangers on the internet who have never seen you move instead of listening to your coach who you are paying, has seen you move, and given you feedback on it.

Strength is built through work and process, not just lifting heavy because you want to. Check your ego at the door.

@ladyblue1 There are two factors when loading in a met-con:
  1. Are you consistently demonstrating sound mechanics, regardless of loading?
    1. Make sure you move well before adding intensity, work at the threshold that suits your movement quality.
  2. Are you moving in a manner that meets the intended stimulus of the workout?
    1. If its FRAN (21-15-9 Thruster + Pull-UP) are you going unbroken on the Thruster?
Honestly: It sounds like you missed both the mechanics (self-prescribed C grade) and the stimulus (slower then the others). It sounds like the coach should have stopped your workout and stripped some weight off of your bar. Better yet: There should have been enough warm-up and build up time to for the coach to personally prescribe you a weight for the day.

@sharzid Shout out to this answer.

Cardio-based wods are for cardio, they will not help you build strength or muscle. Scale so you can keep moving and get the prescribed stimulus

@ladyblue1 If the coach told you to do less weight and more reps, that’s the “intended stimulus” for the workout. It’s always a good idea to ask if they don’t tell you before the workout starts.

@ladyblue1 If your form was a C, I'd say lower weight to get that better first. If you can handle the same form in your scenario, then I'd say it's up to your own goals. Want cardio/fitness drop weight and go faster, stronger then higher weight and slower. Just my opinion, I'm not a coach

@truth111 I am a coach and you are correct. OP missed the mark on this one. Both form wise and likely stimulus wise. Doing a million snatches at a light to moderate weight only benefits you if you’re getting endurance work out of it. Anyone can struggle through lots of reps very slowly with poor form at a higher weight than they can handle and they will gain nothing but an injury. OP, if you just want to get huge and don’t want to listen to your coach or follow CrossFit methodology, it sounds like CrossFit isn’t for you. You might enjoy powerlifting more.

@ladyblue1 Form before load before intensity. That's the CF prescription. It's one thing for the last few reps in a long WOD to depart from ideal (or as close as you can get to ideal), it's another for form to suck from 3..2..1..GO, especially if it wouldn't suck if you used lighter weights.

If you really want to build muscle mass (and it breaks my heart a bit to say this), CrossFit metcons are not your best approach. Sure, they'll build some muscle, but the best way to build muscle is progressive overload focused on the three big lifts (deadlifts, squats and presses) with supplemental lifts and bodyweight work. Years of metcons won't build muscle mass like 6 months of intensity and focus following a 3x-4x a week lifting program (like Wendler 5-3-1).

My two cents - find a lifting program and go all in on it, and supplement with metcons 2 or 3 times a week if you like doing CF. You'll build muscle mass (and strength), and that will certainly help with most metcons. Good luck.

@ladyblue1 Lower the weight. If you want to build mass you need to eat more calories, use progressive overload, and go to failure. CrossFit generally isn’t designed for packing on mass. You’re going to likely have to do extra for that. Olympic lifts especially also aren’t the lifts to be adding weight too if your form isn’t spot on.