Musings my s/o overheard from a trainer

prinkills9

So my bf goes to the same gym as me and heard one of the trainers talking to a male client, who was concerned about his female friend doing bench press. The instructor told his client that he should tell the girl to avoid all presses at all costs because "tits are all fat so when you do bench press they will target fat loss there and lose their boobs." He literally insisted that this person tell their friend to never do any chest exercises. He gets paid by the gym to give this information.

@prinkills9 Is the reason this is absurd because of the incorrect statement about spot reduction or because he was trying to tell a woman what parts of her body she should value above others?

@prinkills9 Damn, that's all kinds of stupid right there! Obviously dude has never had a real pair of boobs, so he doesn't know what he's talking about. But the dude concerned about his lady friend doing bench press? That's just being paternalistic and a bit overbearing. What if she wants to get an awesome set of pecs? It's her body!

@prinkills9 And then he tells the girls with a chubby middle to do nothing but abs and obliques for a tiny waist.

And work inner thigh for dat gap.

Arrrghh.

@prinkills9 that was like three dumb fitness myths in one!
  1. Women will instantly arnold from lifting
  2. fat loss can be area-specific
  3. gaining muscle and losing fat are the same. (toning)

@prinkills9 Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it almost the opposite? I was under the impression that building the muscles in your chest can actually make your breasts look bigger, because it pulls them higher?

I've been losing weight, and when I complained to a friend who is a trainer about my boobs deflating, she told me that building up my pectoral muscles would counteract that a bit.

@believerz In my case, I guess I lost some fat but it wasn't concentrated to my boobs.

But yes they firmed up and got perky. All of a sudden they were like BAM look at us!

@believerz that's what i've always heard and i think it's a pretty commonly agreed upon thing? i remember kylie minogue talking about how working out for that mortal combat movie she did back in the 90's (lol) had made her boobs seem to grow because she had pecs under them.

In my personal experience what I love about bench is how having chest muscles smooths over that visible upper rib cage thing you can get when you drop body fat that can make you look very gaunt. like, when you can see bones above/between your boobs? Julie bowen from modern family sometimes has a bit of it going on for example http://i2.listal.com/image/2622556/600full-julie-bowen.jpg

@believerz My boobs were never particularly perky, but I'm finally starting to see noticeable pec growth and it's definitely helping to give the look of more cleavage. Maybe a tiny bit perkier but I'm not to the point where I'm actively fighting against sagging.

@prinkills9 That's the thing, I have enormous boobs, and they've started sagging a good deal since I've started losing weight. Not the end of the world, I'd rather be healthy/strong, but I also would like it if I could make them less saggy.

@believerz I think this has a lot to do with skin elasticity and proper fitting bras. High impact exercise without proper foundation garments can damage breast tissue and they can appear more "pendulum like." Or at least that's what the fancy bra fitter lady told me.

@kasperblue scoop and swoop: http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki/Scoop_and_swoop It helps it really does.

In terms of damage. There is connective tissue that holds the breast tissue in place. If you don't protect it it can stretch and sag or get injured and have pain. Really this means wear a really good sports bra. (I personally favor Freya) You can check out the subreddit about bra fitting. r/ABraThatFits

But sorry (as a fellow enormous boobie girl) sagging happens. Chest work helps but prevention is the best method.

Back