Musings my s/o overheard from a trainer

@prinkills9 I hate this shit. I am seriously starting to think a person shouldn't be able to get a training cert without at least an associates in a related science. I'm not even a degree snob. I never finished mine and I do pretty damn well for myself. I just can't believe the lack of regulation that creates a situation where this ass hat gets to give clients bull shit nutritional and exercise science advice, with likely little more than 6 hours of training.

@numenorian This is exactly why I haven't committed to a trainer (my first and last experience was so bad, I bailed after 4 sessions with 3 different people - the gym couldn't get their act together). 90% of the advice they gave me seemed good but then 10% was contradictory to what one of their own colleagues had said.

I'm an idiot. I don't know what the hell I'm doing in the gym and I'm just flailing about and hoping it helps me. I've lost 40 pounds that way. But I have gotten to the point where I want to get serious about fat loss/muscle gain and I have no clue who to trust to help me. Argh.

@numenorian I think the gym is to blame here. There are plenty of good certifications that require a lot of study and knowledge- and plenty of personal trainers out there. I'm pretty sure even the lowest certification would touch on the fact that you can't spot reduce.

@haldog True, and I know a few who fit that description, but most people who study kinesiology, physical therapy, dietetics, sports medicine, or a related field, will have at least a basic understanding of how things like fat loss and muscle building work.

@numenorian I study kinesiology with the intent of going into nursing, and trust me, you would not believe the amount of people in my major that don't understand calories in/calories out and think that weight training is bad/will make women bulky. Exercise physiology was a sad class.