OHP Tips

antitox

Have always avoided the OHP due to it being a bit of a weakness and my shoulder mobility not exactly great either but decided to give it a good go of late.

Anyone care to critique or help with any pointers?

Clip below is towards the end of a T2 lift session, 70% TM >> OHP 4 x 55kg

followed by maxing out at an 8 rep set.

Going full depth I find difficult, again, due to mobility I'm guessing.

I try mix it up with stances but split stance certainly helps when fatigued.

@antitox As the other commenter said, these arent full reps - you should be starting each rep from the top of your chest.

My setup starts with my arms outstretched horizontally holding the bar just outside of shoulder width. As I step into the bar I roll the bar keeping my wrists locked so that they stay straight.

You should then be stepping out of the rack with the bar at the top of your chest, not above your head. So your current setup here is not ideal.

Then brace your core and squeeze your glutes really hard. Once braced, you can then initiate the first rep.

@antitox I'm going to go slightly against the grain here. But hopefully my 280 strict/standing OHP speaks for itself. (At 200 pounds body weight)

I agree that you should bring in your grip. Think about stacking your wrists over your elbows, but pulling your elbows forward.

You want your forearm arms to be braced against your biceps and your triceps braced against your lats. This will give the most springy and explosive press possible.

That being said, do not come all the way down to your chest. The chest is too low and too forward. The clavicle on the other hand is ok. If you've properly stacked your biceps against your forearms and your triceps against your lats it wouldn't even be possible to have that range of motion.

Plus there is no advantage to that extra inch. Almost all of my presses happen from mid neck to bottom neck.

@antitox Use dumbbells and drop the weight to the point you can manage a full range of motion with a slow and controlled eccentric. If mobility is enough of an issue that you can’t ambulate your arms like that, you need to work on that directly.

@antitox Unless you're Alex Bromley, ohp starts and ends at the upper chest. Your ROM is mostly the upper half. Good for the triceps, sure, but you're missing out on the bottom stretch

The bar looks sliiiiightly in front of you when locking out. Can you get the bar more overhead? Might even feel "behind" you. The best mobility drill is just practicing ohp with lighter weight.

I also agree that your grip is too wide. Certainly don't close grip it. I find my grip is between my row/deadlift grip, and my bench grip.

Try seated db ohp with the seat back one notch. Unless you have a medical issue, you should be able to start and finish the repetitions with the 'bells gently tapping your upper chest.

@predrag Cheers, all good tips.

Seated DB OHP has generally been good to me with no major issues so must get some accessory work back in on that front.

Going to standing I've just never nailed down any form of consistent technique.
Generally looks like I need to check the ego a bit and work on form!

@antitox Strange, that helps to un-fuck most people’s shoulders.

Something else to try would be an overhead squat. If you try to hit a good depth, even just a broomstick with a snatch grip might give you trouble. That said, I’m not sure how it will help the bottom position of your press.

Back