Please don’t kip in your handstand push ups

@dawn16 That's like changing snatches and cleans to muscle snatches and muscle cleans.

You do you, and I see a whole lot of merit in performing strict movements instead of their kipping variations, just be careful because that's an easy way to overload your muscles. WODs with kipping exercises adjust their volume accordingly. Making them strict with the same number of reps may overwhelm you.

One can easily hit 100 kipping pullups on a daily basis, 100 strict pullups? That's a much greater demand.

@channel7 Kipping hspu is how I found out I have degenerative disc disease. Did strict for years without issue, was convinced to start kipping, shortly thereafter during the first rep of hspu in a wod I felt like someone hit me in the back of the neck with a baseball bat and I collapsed.

Triggered a bunch of issues that resulted in me quitting CrossFit. Sucks and there really wasn’t a reason to start kipping.

@kentmark Cool, so since you’re a doctor you probably also know that degenerative diseases progress at different rates for different people. So not everyone hits 25 years old and loses function of their fingers and feeling in their hands/arms, has to wear a neck brace for weeks at a time, and ends up with permanent, irreversible nerve damage.

Kipping didn’t cause my DDD, but it stressed my neck in a way that nothing else would have at that time in my life and resulted in some shit consequences because of it. Doing things the “right” way is supposed to make you fitter, not land you on a stretcher. I don’t think the average person should be putting themselves at risk like I did just to speed up their daily wod by a minute or two.

@channel7 Two points from me, I have been crossfitting for 9 years. I have learned to do everything strict first so it builds your strength and also listen to your body. When I do/did HSPU kipping I would have an extreme headache for the next two days. There for I have stopped. Josh Bridges mentions on his YouTube channel subs and reasons to do/not so certain movements. I am not going to the games, therefor I’m here for fitness and will forgo certain movements to include HSPU.

@remiirekiigbe Good call man and I love Josh Bridges but I also love HSPU but only the strict ones. I find it to be a highly rewarding exercise when performed correctly so I keep it.

Therefore I will keep them but only to be used once a week or so and under control.

@channel7 100% in for this.

I've been doing crossfit for over 7 years and almost never kipping (and certainly never in training) for the last two. When I get very tired and I want to perform reps I do a very tiny hip motion to give myself momentum then lower my body in a controlled way.

I have also always resorted to using abmats to cushion my head. If I want the difficulty to increase I'll raise my hands with some discs and move on with my life.

TL;DR: I decided I like my spine more than I like adding reps to the whiteboard.

@channel7 I don't think anything is wrong with it. just put an abmat under your head or a gymnastics mat and you're probably good to go.

with that said, I do all of my HSPU strict unless it's high volume and I can't knock out the big sets. if I get tired from all the strict I will kip but that's just to give me the extra bit if I'm getting stuck at the bottom of the rep.