Please don’t kip in your handstand push ups

@channel7 100% agree.

I'd add this: In skilled athletes, I think the biggest and most dangerous compression on your neck does not come from a failed eccentric, but from the unload of the kip. Skilled athletes are often very careful about the eccentric (for good reason) but miss an even more dangerous moment in the movement.

When you close your hips (loading the kip) you draw all the weight into your head and hands. Three points. When you unload, (when you kip) you're putting the full power of your kip into those three points. Even though you're attempting to put that power into only your hands, it's inevitable that for at least a moment, up to 1/3 of that force will run through your C-Spine -- unless you're lifting your head off the ground before you unload. For a big explosive athlete, the kip produces many hundreds of lbs of force. Even if it's a fraction of a second, even if it only happens on some reps, in the wrong WOD on the wrong day for the wrong person it eventually adds up.

I've watched lots of athletes end up with intermediate neck and upper-back/shoulder injuries from repeated exposure to this momentary compression. I've literally never had anyone injure themselves on a big STRICT HSPU day.

I'd also add: As much as I hate it, I won't be able to completely eliminate kipping HSPU from programming until they disappear from the competitive CF world. As long as people see kipping everywhere, they want to kip.

Source: Manage/coach 1000-athlete gym

@channel7 All in agreed. I see people hit the top of their head just to kip and it don't look good when they're fatigue. I want to finish the wod as fast as I can but with proper form. I want to hear your suggestion on the butterfly pull ups, chest to bar and muscle ups too.

@channel7 I am no expert, however, I feel like handstand pushup are like many other movements used in Crossfit. If you aren't careful and loose focus on good form or push past the point where you can maintain good form, you are likely to hurt yourself.

However, I do agree that the potential for injury once you loose this form, is greater with handstand push ups.

Kipping on any movement increases the potential for injury as you are generally kipping when you are tired or trying to move fast and throwing your body weight around to make the movement easier. This is a recipe for injury.

https://wodlife.net

@channel7 Like pull ups, this is great example“if you can’t do 10 strict don’t bother kipping” not to say that having 10 strict HSPU will negate the possible negative effects listed here, but being able to demonstrate control is the decent without fatigue will most certainly keep you safer longer. The need of the elite are very different than the needs of the average. Kipping HSPU is a games level/advanced competition move. Not for your everyday box WOD

@dawn16 While I do agree that you don’t have to be a games level athlete to perform them (lord knows I ain’t going to the games and yet I have developed the skill of kipping HSPU) the need to perfect it and become competent is not required for your average crossfitter...which is the point of this post

@channel7 Imo the title should have been : “Please don’t kip.”
I have been doing crossfit for over 1 year now and in such short time i have seen people almost killing themselves because of different kinds of kipping (flying off the rack while doing kipping pullups, falling in their head while HSPU, you name it). It is not only the immediate impact that wrong kipping can have on you but on long term ppl doing it will expose themselves to chronic injuries especially in the shoulder area. Imo better doing something safe for long term then squeezing some shitty form extras out of an exercise and get injured.

@littleunknown I can see your case for it and yes a lot of people probably shouldn’t do it. As for kipping pull ups I have no beef with them though. I’ve seen more issues caused with the HSPU than pull ups but knock on wood!

As coaches and educated athletes we need to teach people when to kip and how to identify when someone shouldn’t to help protect their shoulders.

@designer1985 If you put your knees on a box (for your height I’d say 20/24in box) and walk your hands close to the box with your butt in the air you can do pseudo-HSPU like that. The big difference is that your lower body weight is supported by the box and your hands hold up your upper body. The load is lighter and the stimulus from inversion present so you can prepare for it when progressing to full HSPU.

Other than that working on your overhead press is a great way to work up to them. Just be sure to work on mobility too.

Good job on 20.3!