Please don’t kip in your handstand push ups

@channel7 Agree. As a tall/lanky 42 year old, I am a fan of doing all movements strict, slow, deliberate, and safely. I let my ego go when it comes to HSPU...if I do some and can't control them anymore, I move to pikes on a box.

I think pull-ups should be strict, too. Save the shoulders.

@channel7 I agree for all the reasons you stated.

When working towards hspu I worked starting with my knees on a box. That was a strict movement. I'd also perform controlled negatives (controlled being the keyword here!). Then I did kipping hspu? Weird progression.

I've never understood how Crossfit always says for something to be intense it has to be fast and at high reps. Something slow can be intense as well.

I don't have great volume when it comes to strict hspu, but I was super excited to see them in the 2019 open!

@dawn16 Which is a more intense exercise? Performing 30 x 100# back squats or 15 x 250# back squats in the same time frame?

The 250# back squats are likely to be slower but will be more intense. If your definition of intensity is measured purely by speed then why don't we just all use PVC pipes for everything?

@mobileleprechaun Of course 15x250 is more intense, because the time is fixed. When the time is not fixed, like doing strict or hspus, the kipping will increase your power output. Intensity is work/time. Same work in less time=more power output, so more intensity. Try again.

@channel7 100% agree. I stopped doing kipping HSPU's 5 years ago for all the reasons you cited; it is a rediculously dangerous movement. I do the occasional WOD subbing strict for kipping , bit if you are only concerned with your open score, there is no way anyone can match a competitor doing kipping against your strict. Just have to eat your score from last week. :(