Please, help me. As a tall guy (6'2/189cm, 92kg) with long arms, how can I train to strict handstand push up?

millybrown

So... I REALLY suck at handstand push ups.

I was very bad even with kipping push up, but with some training I managed to get to a point where I can at least complete the wods with this movement.

I wish to compete at RX level (this is for fun, ofc), but looking on the pre requisites here in Brazil's competitions, the only RX'd movement/load I can't perform is strict handstand push ups (well, considering the competitions that I've gone to).

Therefore, I humbly come here on this subreddit, asking for help on how to be able to perform this exercise. I have like zero strength when my head is touching the ground and the closer to a full strict handstand that I managed to do was with a 15kg plate on the floor. This is very important for me, since on my team I'm the only one who can't strict hspu and I have no idea how to get close to them (at least I'm the strongest lifter and got even cardio with them).

Any kind of response is welcome, specially from other tall guys!

We all strive for progression, be it slow or painful. :)

Thank you!

edit here:
Hey guys, thank you all for helping me!
I'm seeing a brighter path now. Got a lot of suggestions for negative exercises and with that I'll begin with this as my initial focus.

You guys helped me a lot. Thank you, again! :D

@millybrown Hey mate, I’m 6’4 and had the exact same problem. Now I can do about 10 unbroken. Basically did exactly what everyone above has said.
Every second day after my sessions I would hang around and do about 15-20 mins of negative hspus and strict shoulder press. It’s tough, but worth it, Good luck!!! At least we have wall balls right?

@solideogloria12 As a fellow tall guy (6'3") I can relate to this haha. Except...we are still at a disadvantage on wall balls cause we still have to squat! But, theres always rowing!

@dawn16 6’3” 190#, concur with both these guys and generally what everyone else is saying.

One thing about negatives: I would keep them to more low-intensity, “strength-phase” contexts, especially when first introducing them (i.e. I would not work them into something more Metcon-ish like an EMOM right away).

Negatives are a great training tool, but in a metcon context they can significantly increase risk of rhabdo. My facts are a few years old, so anyone please correct me if this is no longer a standard caution in the community.

@migu42 [h4]Handstand Push-Up Negatives Explained[/h4]

[h5]7,607 views 👍 👎[/h5]

Description: Invictus Athlete gymnastics coach Travis Ewart discusses and demonstrates Handstand Push-Up Negatives, both to a deficit and without a deficit.Handsta...

CrossFit Invictus, Published on Oct 3, 2016

[sup]Beep Boop. I'm a bot! This content was auto-generated to provide Youtube details. Respond 'delete' to delete this.[/sup] [sup]|[/sup] [sup]Opt Out[/sup] [sup]|[/sup] [sup]More Info[/sup]

@millybrown Like others have suggested, negatives are an excellent drill. I'm also a really big fan of seated DB/KB pressing, box HSPU, and "reduced ROM" strict HSPU with abmats.

Here's an oldschool video we released about Strict HSPU development that talks about these drills. (note: I didn't do a very good job of demonstrating a proper "tripod" position on those box HSPU...cmon Ben)

Also, mobility and stability are both HUGE factors for many people trying to learn the movement.

Here's a few drills to practice the proper positioning and core bracing. And here's another HSPU development video that incorporates some mobility and strengthening. Hope this helps.

@millybrown As someone the same height as you but a little heavier I think it's just a hard movement. And shorter people seem to be moving their arms so little cranking reps out.

Myself and friends at my box of similar height all seem to struggle and haven't cracked the code to be good at them. But we have improved by just doing more of them. Sometimes as EMOM's, sometimes as negatives. sometimes as sets of a suitable number. Personally, I got most benefit from an EMOM because a WOD is more than just one set with plenty of rest.

To a plate is useful but you miss the end range of the movement so a negative or strict press is better until you can go off the floor.

Experimenting with wider hand placement also helps. Mobility and movement standard dependent of course.

@millybrown Slow, controlled negatives. Pauses with your head just a bit off the floor. Parallete pike HSPU. Z-presses with kettlebells so that you can practice pressing from below your head. You've got this!

@millybrown Negatives are good besides partials.

Id say strict dips should be solid but it depends also on how much you arch off wall and how wide you set your hands.

Id say strict presses or DB presses are a good assistance but you still need to make being in HS easy enuff that you're not wasting energy on just being inverted much less pressing in it.

Since it also takes time to do 10-20 wall hspu, you should be able to hold in a HS for a decent amount of time with the wall and possibly off if you want to walk in HS at some point.

Strict press wise you probably only need to press 55-65% of your BW but of course you don't wanna just have the strength for one as in time you'll want to be able to bang out at least 10-20 and eventually with parallettes or stacked plates.

@millybrown Some great advice here with negatives and working on your strict press. Don’t negate your core.

6’4’ here so feel your pain. Also have an above average wing span. As well as the above and a lot of time one of the biggest leaps I took with the HSPU was spending time in a straight handstand hold. Negatives were always tough in the lower third for me.

Accumulate 5:00 in a handstand hold fighting for perfect posture and active shoulders. Take as many drops off the wall as required to get to 5:00. Drop if you lose midline stability or shoulder activation. Great way to add stabilisation in the shoulders to build strength on top of.

Do this a few times a week and aim to reduce the number of sets over time.

Good luck in your future competitions.

Back