Pre/post workout? Supplements? Group gyms? Help?!

@warriorinchrist14 Going in a different direction with my thoughts. You didn't explicitly state your goals, but you mention your stomach, which leads me to think the goal is weight loss. In that case, what you need to invest in is a calorie tracking app and healthy diet. Not a fad diet, not a "only X every other Thursday" diet, not a "no carbs ever" diet, just a well-rounded and healthy diet that puts you at a caloric deficit.

There's a saying, "Abs are built in the kitchen," and it's true. You can't spot reduce or lose weight from one single area. You want to lose weight, you need to be mindful of what goes into your body.

That said, you asked for supplement advice and there's a LOT of crap being pushed. I was in the same spot when I started my fitness journey. Most of them are junk. I do use a pre-gym supplement to get my heart rate up and focus, creatine helps with fighting muscle fatigue (but does often have the side effect of bloat), and BCAAs can help with muscle recovery (I use one that has cayenne pepper because I like to sweat - scientifically shown to not really make a difference, but it makes me feel good).

The big one, protein powder, is really only recommended if you're trying to build muscle. If you do a powder, make sure it's low cal, low carb, low sugar. Even with the goal of muscle gain, I wouldn't start supplementing your diet with protein powder until you have a regular regimen and your body has started to "warm up" to your new lifestyle, 2-3 months of regular exercise.

As for fitness gyms, they can be great or they can be garbage, just depends on the people and how disciplined you want to be. I think they're particularly good for beginners because they often have classes and you'll find enthusiasts who will be happy to help you on your own journey, and when/if you want to move on or do your own thing you can. See how many free trials you can get in on and find what you enjoy!

Last chapter on this novel I'm writing... More than ANY supplement or gym, the thing you NEED is the right attitude. Fitness isn't to punish yourself for being the wrong shape or weight (not saying YOU experience that, just a mentality I see a lot). It's not a fix to a problem. It's a lifestyle and one to be enjoyed. Don't work out because you HAVE to, work out because you GET to. Connect with yourself and love all the things your body can accomplish!

@dawn16 Thank you so much for the insight! I really appreciate it. While one of my goals is weight loss, the mentality behind it is to improve my overall health. I should not be a 24-year-old with back pain lol but I am also overly cautious because I know there’s so much BS out there, so I want to make sure that I do it right! I think my head is finally in the right place, because I am mostly wanting to find exercise that I like, and find a routine that is going to be sustainable because I agree, I should not be working out because I have to, but because I get to! As far as diet goes, I do think that Macro tracking is going to really help me figure out a good idea of what I should, and should not put into my body because I am already seeing how some foods are more beneficial to my health than others. I don’t have to restrict myself, but I have to make sure that when I’m putting in my body is helping me reach my goals! I did mention my stomach because I do think that is my biggest area of opportunity, but I know that you can’t specifically target an area. I am just hoping that if I start to see the weight come off, hopefully I will start to see some improvement in that area!

@warriorinchrist14 If you’re having a hard time with structure, I have found orange theory to be incredible. One hour of dedicated time, ever-changing templates so I know I’ll work out different muscles, but consistent cardio effort means that you are bound to get fit if you make it a habit. I had a reallllly hard time with being consistent and this has helped me. I shut off my brain for one hour and just follow the coach’s directions and leave feeling incredible. I do plan to eventually quit and go to a gym once I learn the proper form, get more comfortable on the treadmill/rower but going to a gym requires some knowledge and a lot more will power to stay long enough to get consistent results. Orange theory you kind of have to follow the class format and stay for an hour. Highly recommend for beginners.

Cons: Very pricey

Back