[Progress] M - 22 - 6’2”/188cm - 221lbs/100kg — Progressing barbell strength and calisthenics (205kg x5 deadlift and 2 reps of free HeSPU)

@von20207777 Just curious, as someone with same height as you i feel like my lower back is the biggest limiter to my squat as i have to bend my back a lot due to leverage.

Have u faced this problem? What do u do about it.

@cagbo Tight hip adductors and ankles might worsen your back squat form, so be sure to stretch those. Even so, forward lean might be inevitable because of your frame. However if you simply switch to a front-loaded squat variant this isn't an issue. Try front squats or zercher squats...

@cagbo What the other person said - may be some sort of mobility issue, but in all likelihood it’s just how you squat. Many fine squatters have a more folded/leaned forward squat - it’s just how it is.

If you just progress smartly your weaknesses will adapt.

@von20207777 Awesome! Have you correlated your overhead pressing progress with your gains in calisthenics? More specifically, at what level of strength did you manage to start doing the bent arm pike press?

@maymcflurry Not really, I gave OHP for most of this program. At the end of a full pressing session I was able to strict press my old max (175lbs) for a very easy single. Made me think my fresh max may be 190lbs. So around 80-85% bodyweight to get a bent-arm press.

@von20207777 Great video!

How did you combine your powerlifting training with bodyweight fitness? I find it difficult to find a a balance between them in terms of proper programming and recovery.

@jens123 It is tough. You have to take the best of what each gives you. Obviously, from powerlifting, all your leg work should be barbells except maybe some single leg accessory work (lunges, single leg RDLs). Bench should be included for your horizontal pressing too if you are serious about powerlifting.

From calisthenics is a little harder. Front lever or OAC are great for upper back strength, but it’s hard to recover from both if you’re an advanced trainee. I personally just train FL as a primary movement and weighted chins as an accessory to keep it simple on the chins. Then some barbell work as accessory. HSPU work is my main pressing work until I get close to competition when it’ll take a back seat to bench.

For more specific details check out this: http://stevenlow.org/integrating-bodyweight-and-barbell-training/

@avatar29 I don't think it's dangerous, but only because in major powerlifting competitions pretty much every competition uses it (this isn't cynical, they are major athletes and might be doing something dangerous because it can help them get an edge over the rest).
It definetely helps with getting more reps and of higher weight, I think it shortens the lever a little

@avatar29 There's several reasons why this is wrong. The arch is the safest position for your shoulders, beyond that, if you're just trying to move big weight, an extended arch decreases range of motion.

Basically, at worst it is overloading your muscles a little less than a flatter (but never fully flat - retract scapula, only contact points are shoulder blades and butt) bench.

@avatar29 What the comments say - not only is it not dangerous, it would be more risky for shoulders to not arch. The spine isn’t being loaded by the bar like this, all the load going through it is generated by my legs with leg drive. It’s very productive and not dangerous.

@von20207777 Just curious if your knees are going beyond your toes when squatting? The way you move forward first then down suggests your range of motion is slightly off, the angle makes it difficult to tell. You’re clearly capable, just worried about your knees. Keep it up !

@von20207777 That video is much better to see but yea just wanted to be certain lol always room for improvement but looking great, you’re definitely on the right path