Progression rant

katy89

Man, I’ve been getting so frustrated, stuck on the exact same bench numbers for almost 2 months. In a calorie surplus. With intent to progressively overload.
My numbers have been 85kg for 8-7-6 and with a good rest I still couldn’t break that. Told myself after this session I will drop weight or take a break from the movement. All of a sudden this morning I hit the same weight for 9-8-8 (wouldve gone another rep on last set with a spotter).
I get why a lot of people quit the gym. Non linear progression fucks with you, but man when it hits, the dope is unreal.

Rant over.

@katy89 I’m about to blow your mind brotha, try doing…drum roll…90 kg.

This is how you get stronger, you test weights you’ve never touched or used for working sets.

The thing is, sometimes that’s what you have to do.

@trinitas1198 This is great advice.

I would up the weight by 5-10lbs and often do 3-4 reps less... but when I went back to the original goal weight, it was easier.

At some point if you're trying to check the boxes of a 3 set rep scheme or whatever and you're just falling short by a couple of reps on the last set... you know in your head you can lift more weight, so it's almost a waste of time to just hang in that zone for too long. Up the weight and see what you can do, then go back to it! Bet you check it off that time.

@yaeer1942 Yes. Heavy compounds usually cause a lot of fatigue close to failure when you get stronger. This is probably fine for bench press, but for squats and deadlifts this is just going to train support more musculatur at lower reps.

Back