Progression rant

@katy89 getting another rep with help from a spotter isn’t getting another rep.

But anyways, the barbell bench press seems to be a particularly hard movement to progress. I find I progress more linearly on movements where my chest gets stretched significantly at the bottom (certain machine press variations, dumbbell chest press, cambered bar chest press, etc)

@katy89 You should never be frustrated that you're stuck on the same number for 2 months because you shouldn't be trying the same weight for that long. Deload after a few sessions of no progress.

@katy89
I get why a lot of people quit the gym. Non linear progression fucks with you

That also has something to do with people not running routines where non-linear progression is the point, but just keep banging their heads against a linear progression wall.

@katy89 Are you going for purely hypertrophy or strength? Both can go hand in hand but there are better ways to maximize bench press maxes that isn't that good for hypertrophy
And better things for hypertrophy that isn't the optimal for pure strength

@katy89 My favourite 3 options:
  1. Drop your weight and pick a higher rep target. Bench press is good from 6 to 10-20 reps depending on the individual (typically 10-12 or even as high as 15 for barbell).
  2. Drop the weight and add a set. Work up to 10 reps on all sets, then try 85kg again.
  3. Swap to working up to one heavy set of barbell press, and do 10-20 reps on dumbbell press after hitting a pull exercise (even if that's facepulls or bicep curls) or unrelated exercise (e.g. a leg exercise, calf raise)

Back