Progression rant

@katy89 If your weight is going up and you're plateaued on BB Bench for 2 months, it could be your triceps. A lot of people don't take overhead tricep extensions, tricep pushdowns, skullcrushers, JM Press, etc. seriously and train those at 7 RPE at the end of push/upper body/full body day because no one gives a fuck about those numbers. Tricep extensions are easy to cheat too. Which kills gains.

Also for 85kg bench, I think it's easier to go up 2.5kg (if you have micro-plates, you can go up less than that) than it is to get grind 1 more rep. Use a 1RM calculator to check. This is especially true for deadlift, squat and Leg Press. Basically any movement with lots of load.

Also I do feel that 30D DB Incline Press is better for chest than BB Bench. Jeff Nippard mentioned that in the literature, 30D DB Incline Press does still have significant mid/lower pec activation. I haven't done DB Flat Bench in like 3 months or BB Bench in 8 months and my mid/lower pecs aren't lagging. DB Flat Bench is perfectly fine to do as well. As is Smith Bench.

@katy89 I get your point. We all have to be patient and stack the micro gains on top of each other over time instead of getting frustrated.

What's your programming for bench volume?

@tdidymas I run a PPLPP split with flat bench / incline db bench twice a week. I find this is a good amount of volume press wise and my recovery time feels good.

@mazince47 Yeah I try to do the big leg work on leg day rn(wed). And then I’m doing 3 sets of leg extensions and glute pull throughs on my first push day(mon) and 3 sets of leg curls and calf raises on my second pull day(Fri)

@rico71601 Seems good. You getting RDLs in on pull day?

Myself I do a 6 day it's not really ppl but

Tuesday hip thrusts heavy, hacks heavy ss calf, lunges medium, leg extensions, GG BG, leg curls
(I also do some cardio core and OHP that day)

Friday I do heavy squats and more shoulders.

I find it's working great the twice a week.

@mazince47 I am getting in RDLs but they’re on my leg day. They really destroy me even when they feel easy man even two sets of them has me sore for DAYS. No other exercise like it.

Also most of my leg work on leg day is single leg so I can load heavy. I have a back deformity and I can’t do heavy deadlifts or put huge weight on my back.

I can trap bar deadlift but I moved and no more trap bar RIP

I’m finding(maybe wanting to find) that working out a muscle after only 48hrs rest is totally fine as long as it’s not another BIG volume session

@rico71601 I assume you meant CANT load heavy? Take that as a way to split stuff up more then over your days?

Single leg leg press works for you? Lunges ?

Have you tried the one leg rdl/deads? Maybe useful with your back ?(Or not idk b careful lol)

Name slipping my mind rn

@bb83 Yeah, I’m 5’7, just shy of 150lb and eating on average 2600 calories per day. Almost at peak bulk so the cut won’t be too far away

@katy89 First off, great job man! 187lbs bench at 150lbs is fantastic, especially for someone with only 1-3 years of experience!

There are two recommendations I'd give that really helped me get my bench press up:
  1. Frequency. There a lot of Reddit-licensed coaches here that say you should only do a certain lift an X amount of sets a Y amount of times per week. I've found this is not always the case. When I plateaued on bench, I started benching 4 times a week. Twice I'd go heavy for sets of 5 and twice I'd go lighter for sets of 8-12. Added a solid 20lbs to my bench!
  2. Try the 5/3/1 after you plateau with #1. You really have to be disciplined in tracking everything, but over 2 years I added another 40+ lbs to my max rep!
For reference, I am currently 170lbs at 5'9" and bench just shy of 3 plates! I think you're on pace to crush my progress haha. My bench is my weakest lift by far.

@yaeer1942 Highly recommend you look online! It's a training regime that slowly trains your body to bear increasing amounts of weight through a very methodical process. Requires a lot of tracking!

@katy89 add in more sets. double it(6 sets for a start, then 8 after a while). Also because youve been doing 85 kg for so long, drop it down to 80 and increase the reps to above 10 (12-15 is best)

@katy89 I’m willing to bet there’s a few potential issues:
  1. You aren’t in an actual surplus (unlikely)
  2. Your form is bad (most likely) - do you bounce the weight off your chest? As that is hard to replicate.
  3. You’re overtrained (very likely especially if you do crazy volume) so many people do far too much volume.
  4. You’re doing the same on each push day, are you doing exactly the same workout? Make one day lighter focusing on working the muscle and the other day strength based.

Back