Protein intake after resistance training

pheadablessed

I am a 48 years old male. I am trying to get back into the fitness routine. Back in July, I was doing mainly cardio to get my bodyfat percentage down. Starting in August, I started doing resistance training 3 times a week with a personal trainer. He measured my bf% at the start. It was 16.9%. I just got measured again. It is at 17.1%. My muscle mass increased a bit. My trainer tells me to get more protein. I eat bean stew and nuts after workouts along with a protein shake of around 48 g protein. I am now trying to get more protein in after this post workout meal via another shake consumed over the course of the night and into morning. I have a high degree of muscle soreness after these training sessions. Is it a sign I need to get more protein? I am okay with gradual progression. I just want to hear of any tips from folks here who have experienced this at the beginning stages.

@pheadablessed Being sore when starting is common, I wouldn't worry too much about it (unless it never goes away).

For protein try to aim for 2.2g per kg of lean body mass (you can calc that from your bodyweight minus your body fat calculated using that body fat percentage). Don't worry if you can't hit that, but aim for it.

You want a contact source of protein throughout the day so take that amount of protein and divide it equally between your meals.

Eat something carby / sugary before you workout (gatorade or a banana) so you have some energy through the workout.

Nice one for starting, keep at it (and get enough water and rest, it will help with the soreness)

@pheadablessed FYI 2.2g/kg (1g/lb) is an overabundance, studies have never consistently shown benefit above 0.7g/lb but lots of people recommend 1g/lb because it’s an easy number and people like to take an overabundance for some reason.

@pheadablessed Some fat gain is to be expected and 17% isn’t even particularly high. Should still be in healthy ranges. Focus on shooting for .75g of protein per lbs and you should be fine in that regard. It may also help to try and space out your meals around 3-5 hours apart. Doms(delayed onset muscle soreness) is not a sign of lack of protein no. It’s to be expected when you’re new to resistance training and will still remain to a lesser degree even when you’re experienced. Personal trainers are a nice resource and def more informed than the average individual but their word is not law. Especially when it comes to nutrition. It’s not generally a difficult process to get certified and some don’t even have certifications. For that reason it’s important that you get info from various sources(like you are) and then do your own deeper research. But yeah you probably do need more protein but it’s not why you have doms.

@pheadablessed Yeah most likely but it’s better to be more meticulous about these things. If it is the case that after monitoring you actually are getting enough protein then adding would have just been wasted calories. If you have calories to spare after getting .75g-1g per lbs(on the high end generally during a deficit) then it’s better to get fat and carbs with those left over cals

@pheadablessed If you're resistance training and want to retain and even build muscle, definitely keep an eye on protein. Yes it is true you don't need as much as commonly thought, but you do need to make sure it is high enough. I'd aim for 0.7g- 1g/lb of body weight. I weigh 170lbs and I aim for at least 130g of protein/day, to give you an example.

The muscle soreness is a sign of muscle breakdown, which is absolutely what you want. Prolonged muscle soreness could be due to lack of sleep and recovery and perhaps not eating enough to help fix your muscle fibers.

Do you track calories? Defo a good idea to over 1 week to get an idea of how much you are eating.

@sdegrad At the moment, I don't really track calories. I do try to focus on eating healthy legume based meals. However, I know how many scoops of protein I am consuming. I figure the protein shake for sure is being digested. As far as the legume meals, I am happy if I can get whatever nutrition I can out of the meals. I am sort in the beginner phase, so the amount of protein needed for my training is probably transitioning from "too little" to "enough". Thank you for the advice.

@pheadablessed I would say it is likely the opposite. We don't absorb protein shakes as well as dietary sources, so I'd try consume the majority of your protein in the legumes, nuts etc like you've been doing.

@sdegrad I make a bean stew and have a variety of nuts with it. It has been my go to meal for a long time. I just drink the shakes to make sure my training isn't going to waste due to insufficient protein intake. Thank you for the advice.

@pheadablessed One cup of dry quinoa has over 3 cups of cooked quinoa. Easily 38 grams in one cup dry if u eat it all. You can pair that with ur nuts and beans. Also throw in tofu and lentils. And protein powder. You should easily hit 150grams

@pheadablessed Right after workout you’d want to replenish glycogen and have some protein- think smoothie with banana and protein powder. Then a large meal with plenty of complex carbs and protein (rice and beans/lentils, tofu wrapped in whole wheat wrap, quinoa with bbq tempeh, sweet potatoes and chickpea hash, just some ideas). The rest of your meals should be balanced as well so yes spread out the protein throughout.

@pheadablessed Being sore right after a workout is not right, being sore 24-48 hours after is Delayed Muscle Onset Soreness, that is normal.

Since you are 47 and not 27 your protein regimen needs to be different than the young studs on this board. You need a big protein breakfast, 50-60g. If you are staying plant based, then you are only getting around 65% of the protein on the label. Much less if it is a wheat product. You need that much to kick on muscle protein synthesis. You need that much because you need to make sure you are getting enough lysine (2.5g ish) which is what kicks it in. A constant snacking of protein is useless for muscle growth...again, at your age. Nuts are great, but you're not getting what's on the label. The little buggers in your belly have a hard time getting through the chunks. And you mentioned taking in a shake over the course of the night and into morning...make sure you give all those little critters in your gut a break over night. They have other stuff to do to get ready for the morning. If you keep feeding them they can't clean up and get ready for the next day :)

@mondifort I don't have anything saved. Just what I picked up over the years of reading. Your body has to work harder to break down what you eat, so we just can't get to all of it. Not a bad thing, and no way am I saying it's a negative, just something to consider. Ruminants can do it easily, humans not so easy :) Changes if it is an isolate like in a protein powder. Then I only pay attention to getting the right amount of lysine. Again, more easily accomplished if just dowsing down some whey isolate. I know my pea protein is just shy so I always compliment it with something else.

One person who will often bring it up is Dr Don Layman. Depending on what you read or listen to with him, it often gets packaged as "it's not as good for you." Not true, just need to do a bit more thoughtful meal prep.

We all recycle protein. We use 300 g per day. As we get older we get really bad at it. So this is all more important to consider as you age.

And taking about protein is tough, we should be talking about amino acids. When we eat protein our body breaks it down into amino acids and then uses them to assemble stuff (very technical word there). If we have the wrong ratio of amino acids the protein we are consuming is useless.

@mountainofgod1 Yes I’ve heard someone say that before but there is nothing to prove it. Based on what i read from multiple source, Plant protein sources are just slower digesting but you still absorb all of it.

Back