Rear delt flyes needed for rear delts or pulls and rows enough?

setst777

Ive come to the realisation that i was doing more volume than i could recover from so im trying to cleaning up everything that could be redundant. Everyone always says presses are enough for front delts so very little ovh p is enough, why isnt it the same for rear delts?

No matter the excercise or form, ive never felt them hammer my rear delts. No where near what wide grip upper back rows with partials at the end do.

My chest/back 2x a week is

2 x wide grip pulldowns

2 x narrow grip pulldowns

2 x wide grip upp back row with partials to murder rear delts

2 x narrow lat biased row

Presses

2 x flat press

2 x low incline press

2 x high incline press

2 x ovh press

And 12 sets per week of lateral raises on my shoulders/arms day. Been doing rear delts too but thinking of removing them.

@setst777 I always listened to John Meadows advice on this one. Nobody has overdeveloped rear delts and almost everyone benefits of direct rear delt work. So I usually do 3 sets twice per week on the cables

@setst777 Some guys can really pull with their rear delts along with their upper back some don't. I think you know which camp you're in. Having 6 to 9 sets of isolation work for the rear delts is probably the least likely thing to cause you too much fatique.

They are so low fatique that doing them by themselves would be a waste of time so I'd recommend supersetting with chest, legs, arms or abs

@setst777 Everybody's different, but personally I do a type of shoulder fly, cable and dumbbell, 3 days a week, and I do all of them bent forward at about 45 degrees to target the rear delts more. I figure the front delts get plenty of work Benching 2x per week, Incline press 1x, overhead press 1x and kettlebell swings 1x per week. I also do barbell row 2x per week, and Dumbbell row 1x per week. Not to mention pull-ups.

@setst777 For some people it's enough. For others it isn't. Maybe take a look at your body and ask yourself: are my rear delts large enough? Or is there something else you'd like to work on first?

If overall mass is something you want, and rear delts specifically aren't something you need to grow, then maybe skip rear delt flyes and instead do a different movement that consolidates several muscle groups in one. A good example is a cable low-to-high face pull (meaning it'll look quite similar to the upright row). It'll work your side and rear delts as well as your traps, giving you a pretty good bang for your buck.

Back