S&S - how long did it take you to do the 100 swings in 5 min w/ 24 kg?

@pearlgrl13 When I trained for the snatch test I did the test with 24 but trained swings with the 32, so I’d use that when I later did S&S, but for a single set, closer to the end of the session. The first time you try it, put it in the last set with perfect form, even if it’s not the full ten reps. Then keep trying it until you can do the full last set with it, then move it to the next earliest set. Keep moving it down and if you start with the 32 and complete all remaining sets with the 24. It’s really cool to see how you adapt over time.

@lostscaredme Hmm maybe I should consider getting a 32 at some point!

Btw, I'm definitely interested in training for the snatch test at some point down the road. How did you structure your training to prepare?

@pearlgrl13 Followed a Brett Jones template online. Should still be out there. I only did it because it was part of the SFG cert and I now think they are completely unnecessary and overrated. You can do swings forever. Your shoulders only have so many snatches in them

@pearlgrl13 Took me a little over a month and I’m not in good shape whatsoever. I used to routinely lift weights for years but stopped around 5 years ago, so there is some muscle memory. What I can’t do is 10 swings in 15 seconds. So I do 10 second rest breaks to hit the 100 in 5 minutes. Seems like you should be far better conditioned than myself so maybe it’s a form issue or you’re wearing yourself out with other exercise first. I didn’t realize right away that the days I was struggling with S&S was because I ran on my treadmill first. Are you doing other exercises prior to the swings?

@makestraighttheway Nothing else prior, but you may be correct about wearing myself down with other activities. I definitely don't feel great on the swings after playing tennis and cycling. As another user suggested, I might want to cut back and really focus. Thanks for your reply!

@pearlgrl13 If you’re in a hurry you might be gassing yourself out too early. A while back I got to 100 swings in five minutes and this is how I did it: I set an interval timer to go off every minute and would do ten on top of each minute. Then every workout thereafter I knocked a couple seconds off. It forced me to pace myself. After a few weeks I was hitting a set every 30-ish seconds and all 100 fit in 5 minutes.

@pearlgrl13 As others have pointed out, you're not supposed to get 100 Swings within 5 minutes every session. Rest as much as you need and try to make every single rep as powerful as possible.

@pearlgrl13 The goal in the book is "timeless" simple, which is 32 kg. You don't go for the timed test until Sinister - 48 kg. I've been doing kb for 11 months now, starting at 16 kg. Took some time off here and there, but I'm getting close to timeless simple.